Expressing this scene

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Matis609, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Matis609

Matis609 TPF Noob!

If you had to express your interpretation of this scene in photos, what might you think of? by the scene, I mean the one with ed norton attacking the burglars.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMkN8iApMFw&feature=related]YouTube - American History X part 1 of 13 GOOD QUALITY[/ame]

2. kkamin

kkamin TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    It already sort of is in photos.

But I guess you need to ask yourself what is the scene about? What does the character want? What is his motivation? What is the theme of the film and how does this piece fit into it? What is the subtext of the scene, what is the scene really about?

It is a dark scene where he commits cold-blooded homocide to one of the men, fueled by misguided anger towards minorities. It's about revenge--the men he kills are replacements for the men who killed his father. There is a unsettling quality to how collected and in control he is during the dangerous skirmish. I would approach it like a comic book artist trying to capture complex human dynamics on a full page panel. You could have Norton in shadow, eyes glowing almost white with anger and satisfaction as he is stepping on the guys head. The guy who is being 'curbed' is being stomped into the curb and his teeth are shattering. A single street light in the distance is revealing the other man he gunned down. And off on the porch his mother is in hysterics while his little brother watches with open and impressionable eyes. I would use a very wide lens and be at the level of the curbed man, looking up at Norton and somehow manage to fit those other elements somewhere on the sides of the frame.

3. Matis609

Matis609 TPF Noob!

i agree- im trying to capture his anger, rage, racism, and even ignorance in that it is so misguided as you said. the only difference with what you suggested- i am re-creating this in a studio with different people but still trying to capture the essence of what norton was feeling in the scene. so i cannot exactly capture the porch and curb and those elements as they are in the movie. i have to give my own take on this, and building off what you said, suggestions of what i might be able to capture in the studio would be appreciated

4. Matis609

Matis609 TPF Noob!

anyone else?