Expressions - Wide Angle Portraits (mostly selfies)

jdunphy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
jacobdunphy.com
I was working with my cheapie 18-55mm at the wide end with my homemade cheapie softbox.

A couple of the later ones turned out a little hot. I forgot to stop down a 1/2 step. Whoops!

I'd love any input/crits you're willing to put up! :)

2007_01_17_05.jpg

2007_01_17_02.jpg

2007_01_17_03.jpg

2007_01_17_06.jpg

2007_01_17_07.jpg

2007_01_17_08.jpg

2007_01_17_09.jpg

Not bad at all. I find #1 and #7 quite convincing. I would have picked up #2 for your avatar, but that's of course just me, hehe.

Hahahah! I love #5! It made me laugh as i was scrolling down :) You have some great expressions and the image quality is great on them!

Thanks for the comments! These were a lot of fun to shoot. I want to get some friends over and shoot some of these against a white background. I think they'd be fun to push more toward a high key.

how'd u make a home made softbox?

The softbox is just a big Dell computer box. My rough size estimates put it at about 2x2x1'. On one of the narrow sides I cut a hole large enough for a speedlight. I cut out the opposite side almost completely, just leaving enough of an edge to keep the box from collapsing. I covered that opening with one layer of paper towels. I also opened up the box and taped a couple long sheets of thicker paper from the lightsource end to the paper towel side. The narrow end of the V is on the flash side, just to help reflect some of the lost light through the light panel.

I taped it to random things like lightstands or set it on the table. Then I'd cross my fingers and hope that it didn't fall while I was shooting. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back