extending remote?

Dmitri

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Have any of you electrically minded people managed to extended the remote (wired) shutter release? It would probably be easy to cut it up and tape some wires to connect it, but I know netx to nothing about electronics so I'm not sure what type of wires I would even go about buying.

I thought about it and then found the wired/wireless triggers on ebay. The one from hong kong supplies was less than $30 and it works wired or wireless. It was not worth trying to hack the wires for that price.

I thought about it and then found the wired/wireless triggers on ebay. The one from hong kong supplies was less than $30 and it works wired or wireless. It was not worth trying to hack the wires for that price.

I hear ya, but the wireless requite line-of-sight for the infrared. I just want to extend the wire on my wired remote so I can go a bit further away, but not be limited to where I need to stand.

Thanks for the reply tho :)

I hear ya, but the wireless requite line-of-sight for the infrared. I just want to extend the wire on my wired remote so I can go a bit further away, but not be limited to where I need to stand.

Thanks for the reply tho :)

Look for RF remote.

i.e. This one will work with Canon EOS 40D and do not need line-of-sight since it is a RF remote and it claim can go up to 100m (like 300ft) (be aware that this site ship very slow from Hong Kong. usually take few weeks)

DealExtreme: $19.69 YongNuo RF Wireless Remote Focus + Shutter Release Trigger for Canon DSLR Digital Cameras

The remote I linked is not IR. It works fine in most any conditions. I use it frequently for family shots, etc.

The one Dao linked looks do do the same thing. I'd go for one of those any day instead of a wired one.

The remote I linked is not IR. It works fine in most any conditions. I use it frequently for family shots, etc.

The one Dao linked looks do do the same thing. I'd go for one of those any day instead of a wired one.

haha .. you know what, often that they made by the same company with different brand names or the internal guts are the same (copies). :lol:

The $40 Gadget Infinity one is not IR, it is RF and has a range of about 100 feet, and yes it works through walls and floors. Try doing a search on their website. IR cannot be extended using wires and what not... way different technologies.

IR cannot be extended using wires and what not... way different technologies.

He meant extending a wired remote with more wire.

Actually, you could extend an IR remote with a fiber optic cable... Pretty sure that would work. Then you could even use it from behind the camera.
(Still, a wired or RF remote would be easier...)

Well if you are lucky enough to be a Canon shooter this is an excellent option and can do exactly what you want with a simple Radio Shack stereo headphone extension cable.

He meant extending a wired remote with more wire.

My bad, sorry. :)
Yeah, that can be done with a little good soldering technique and quality wire.

Actually, you could extend an IR remote with a fiber optic cable... Pretty sure that would work. Then you could even use it from behind the camera.

Not a very cost effective or sturdy solution. It would be quite expensive and if you bent it a little much, crack it... and it's toast.

(Still, a wired or RF remote would be easier...)

RF would be the best... nothing to trip over and generally greater range.

But to actually answer your question. Get some pliers, cut through, count the number of cores, go buy wire with that number of cores, splice and extend.

Generic data cable like telephone or alarm system cables work well. They are typically multicore. Nikon remotes use 3 to 4 wires from what I have seen. Ground, 5V, Shutter Half Depress, Shutter full depress.

The wires are always colour coded so just cut through and add some more wire between the same coloured ones and you're good to go. Should cost you about $0.5/meter depending on the cable you get.

But to actually answer your question. Get some pliers, cut through, count the number of cores, go buy wire with that number of cores, splice and extend.

Generic data cable like telephone or alarm system cables work well. They are typically multicore. Nikon remotes use 3 to 4 wires from what I have seen. Ground, 5V, Shutter Half Depress, Shutter full depress.

The wires are always colour coded so just cut through and add some more wire between the same coloured ones and you're good to go. Should cost you about $0.5/meter depending on the cable you get.

Thank you Thank you!

Most reactions

Back