I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
came in today from KEH! extension tube for the 80mm f/4 macro lens on my mamiya m645 1000s.
(thanks to Derrel for posting a link to it)
being VERY new to film cameras, i do have a question. I already have a roll of film in the camera, but if I want to change lenses, or put the extension tube on, can I just lock the mirror up and take the lens off without exposing the film inside? I would love to get a few shots with and without the extension tube.

Long as you got the darkslide in you got no worries.

unlike the hasselblad bodies, the mamiya doesn't have a darkslide.

Well damn. I had a RB67 which did have a darkslide.

Hmmmmm. So it doesn't have swappable backs? That kinda sucks.

Well damn. I had a RB67 which did have a darkslide.

Hmmmmm. So it doesn't have swappable backs? That kinda sucks.

indeed. no swappable backs on this one. hence my conundrum. certainly film users had a way to swap lenses in between shots. I cant imagine other film cameras completely sticking you with only ONE lens per roll of film.

Well like I said with the RB you just put the darkslide in and go for it. I'm assuming the 645s are all leaf shutters right?

Well like I said with the RB you just put the darkslide in and go for it. I'm assuming the 645s are all leaf shutters right?

focal plane shutter. the made a few lenses though that had a leaf shutter.

Why not take it in a bathroom, with all the pieces, block off all light around the door, and change it out?

I was developing film in the bathroom at night. Can't see why you can't do this there...

Just saying

Ohh then you are good. Even with mirror lockup the focal plane shutter will block the film. I had assumed they were all leaf and if you took the lens off the shutter went with it.

Right?

Why not take it in a bathroom, with all the pieces, block off all light around the door, and change it out?

I was developing film in the bathroom at night. Can't see why you can't do this there...

Just saying

because i MIGHT want to change lenses when im outside. at the park, by the lake...where it isnt very convenient to go find a bathroom to change lenses.

Just saying.

Ohh then you are good. Even with mirror lockup the focal plane shutter will block the film. I had assumed they were all leaf and if you took the lens off the shutter went with it.

Right?

if i had the 70mm lens with the leaf shutter then yes, that is probably true. I THINK though, with the focal plane shutter i am ok with the mirror locked up. was just looking for conformation before i tried it and ruined a few frames.

Yes, you can change lenses on the 1000s without exposing the film.

Last edited:
Good heavens, I'm glad compur showed up! :lol: I was reading along and getting concerned. No worries, you can swap out lenses with film in the camera, I do it all the time and keep shooting! :) If I'm stuffing everything back into the bag and just carrying the body, I put the body cap on over the lens for safety's sake. No worries for light leaks, though.

Most reactions

Back