extension tube help

EXTENSION TUBES - Tubes made from metal and, more frequently, plastic inserted between the lens and the camera, thereby making the lens to film distance greater. The result is increased magnification for close-up photography.

they are hollow tubes of varying thickness (12mm, 20, 36 etc. - no lens)

JonK said:
tell her you'll shoot it all in macro mode for half the money :mrgreen:

They have a real photographer for the wedding...I was just gonna play and take fun shots...but it's not a bad idea to take all macros...I might get in the way during that whole "kiss the bride" thing, though :lmao: and who really wants to see THAT so close up :lol:

Woodie and Jon,

no worries...this is how I learn. I'm very interested in macro photography, so talk away...as long as we're on topic, it's all good!

Can you explain this rail thing in more detail? What exactly is it doing?

Like I said, I want to learn more about macro (I don't get the macro though...shouldn't really be micro? I think Nikon called it micro), so please...let's expand this thread to chatting on Macro photography

JonK said:
you'd be surprised :er:

*shudders at the incestous though of it all*

I mean don't misunderstand...two way hot chicks...oh yea, I'd be all up in that with my macro...but my sister.....:er:

Oh, sorry...stay on topic...stay on topic...

when you get in that close with such shallow DOF even the most minor focus adjustments can throw it way off easily...so the rails are geared high(think that's right) so they make super fine adjustments pulling the entire rig (camera and lens ) back and forth instead of internally focussing the lens.
the one woody found at B&H will also move side-to-side to aid in composing the image as well.

is your sister hot?....o never mind :lol:

JonK said:
when you get in that close with such shallow DOF even the most minor focus adjustments can throw it way off easily...so the rails are geared high(think that's right) so they make super fine adjustments pulling the entire rig (camera and lens ) back and forth instead of internally focussing the lens.
the one woody found at B&H will also move side-to-side to aid in composing the image as well.

is your sister hot?....o never mind :lol:

:er:

This is a tough question...my first instinct is to say yes because she looks just like me...but then I think, well, I'm hot, but I'm a guy, so if she looks just like a hot guy, but she's a girl...is she hot??? It's really a tough question...but as long as her beau thinks she's hot, I reckon that's all that matters.

Thanks for the info on the gadget. That makes a lot of sense.

I was just looking at the pic you posted again, and there is no way that I could have much (deep?) DOF with the 50mm...like I said, I will try with the 70-300mm tonight. I think I just f'ed up and bought the wrong gear...but it should still make for interesting pictures, right? Of course right!

JonK said:
...and modest too :er: :lmao:

If yer goin for super shallow DOF the zoom is a good way to go...rack it out and you'll be fightin' fer dof :lol:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:scratch:

yea, OK, so I don't get it, but I wanted to be cool and laugh with ya...

the longer the focal length the less deep DOF you can achieve...add extension tubes and it is even more lesser :p
so if ya rack yer zoom out to 300mm with the tubes you'll be working with mm's of in focus area...any slight movement will cause major out-of-focus if yer trying to concentrate/focus on something in particualar...even if you're at your smallest aperture(ie. f16 , f22 for example).

JonK said:
the longer the focal length the less deep DOF you can achieve...add extension tubes and it is even more lesser :p
so if ya rack yer zoom out to 300mm with the tubes you'll be working with mm's of in focus area...any slight movement will cause major out-of-focus if yer trying to concentrate/focus on something in particualar...even if you're at your widest aperture.

:lol: :lol: ah. now I get it! :lol: :lol:

Most reactions

Back