External Flash Recommendation for a D750

Discussion in 'Nikon Accessories' started by vandervr, Aug 1, 2017.

1. vandervr

vandervr TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Anybody have any external flash recommendations for a D750? I would rather spend a little more if it makes a difference?

Thanks

2. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Yongnuo yn568

3. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    More than what?

4. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

Nikons CLS system is a line of sight system. So you can use it on camera and off camera wireless. A good general flash is the SB-700 if you want to stay with Nikon flashes. Many people have had good luck with off brand flashes like the Yongnuo mentioned. The thing with Yongnuo is you can get a couple of them for the price of the one SB-700. Nikon also makes a more expensive models and less expensive models. But the SB-700 right in the middle is a very capable flash. I have a lot of flashes. And all but 2 are Nikons. I was thinking of trying some Yongnuo's since others like them so much.

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I like an older Nikon flash, the SB-800. Why? Reliability...over a decade and counting...STILL works perfectly. Has nice features, good power, perhaps a bit more powerful than $79 or $89 Yongnuo or Neewer flash units. SPEED: I like this flash mostly because it uses a fifth AA battery in a special door/compartment. Not just four AA's, but five...makes a difference in recyle speed, and life of the batteries, since the discharge is spread between five cells, not just four. Makes it easier to have the five batteries in the flash, ready to go, at a moment's notice. Excellent power management, good battery life with the five cells.

FULL, 100 percent compatability with Nikon cameras, not 90% or less. Rugged. It's been durable. I use more off-camera flash than speedlight,but I have done some 100-250-shot and even a few 300-shot on-camera fill-light sessions with this flash...it's up to the task...again...instead of needing a battery pack with 8x 1.5 AA cells or whatever, I have 5 x 1.5 AA cells...gives good recylce time AND is not burdened by the need for an ancillary battery pack.

Many people have never bought Nikon flash units. I have one from 1984...STILL works....I have another from the same era...still working..I have an SB-20 from the late 80's, still working...

I look at a high-end speedlight like the SB-800 was (the top one when new) as a long-term investment, but there's another way to look at a speedlight, as a disposable, replaceable unit. Many people are satisfied with the Yongnuo or Neewer flash units.

6. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    My goto flash for my d750 when on camera or on my flash bracket is the Nikon sb700 due to the simplicity of the controls. After that I have a few sb800s, then a yongnuo.

Many will talk about the yongnuo but I think only the 568s (the one with all the compatible options) is the best to get for non-Nikon.

7. vandervr

vandervr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

8. Peeb

Peeb Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

I've thought about trying that sometime.