External Flash/ SB 700... thoughts? Others?

bcarlson87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm continuing my research into external flashes and hoping to settle on one within the next couple weeks.

I currently have my eye on the Nikon SB 700 (averaging about $350). Does anyone have any experience with this flash..pro's/con's to the SB 700.

I also thought about the SB 910 but i'm so new to externals I dont know if that would be a good idea (dropping $550 for a flash i have no idea how to use?)
That's why I keep going back to the SB 700.

However, my other thought process was getting something not Nikon. Any thoughts with none Nikon external Flashes?

Any feedback would be very appreciated! I look forward to hearing back!
THANKS!!!!

I currently have:
Nikon d5100 Camera
Nikon d3100 Camera
Nikon 18mm-55mm Lens
Nikon 55mm-200mm Lens
Sigma 70mm-300mm Lens

The Yongnuo speedlights are generally well regarded, as are Metz, but I'm personally a proponent of having at least one 'first-party' speedlight. Have you looked around for a used SB900? They're actually going quite reasonably and are an excellent unit as long as you don't plan on firing full-power pops as fast as it can recharge 'til the batteries die.

I also support the notion of getting an OEM flash for your first flash as you know it's fully compatible.
My first flash was a SB-600 which I replaced with a SB-700.

Since then I've added 2 SB-800s

and recently a Yongnuo 560ex for backdrop lighting. After some fiddling, the 560ex worked great initially .. but now it's not shooting as a SU-800 controlled remote for some reason. I've double, tripled, quad checked the settings ... these are the instances you'll like the OEMs.

The newer menu/control design of the SB-700 also makes it my ON camera flash of choice above the SB-800s.

I couldn't stomach the 910's price either.

FYI .. I just found out the problem with my Yongnuo 550ex.
I use a Nikon SU-800 remote commander. It uses IR - InfraRed to communicate
The 550ex is limited to about 8 feet away Line Of Sight !! (with minimal light in the room)
Whereas I could put a SB-800 15 feet away partially around a corner .. and much further if in-line of sight, even with the sensor not facing the camera commander. I've never had a problem with my Nikon flashes in my home studio-ish setup.

The distance was better using the on-camera flash as the initiator but I didn't want that.

So, if you plan on using Yongnuos throughout, I recommend getting their Radio triggers too. At some point you'll probably want RF triggers anyways ... I'm just trying to avoid that for as long as possible.

I do agree a OEM is a good first flash as mine was, the SB600.

But I just got the Meike mk-910 and it is pretty much a knock off SB-910 for a 1/4 of the price and so far I don't have any complaints.

But yeah, the SB700 will serve you well and is a well regarded flash.

I have two SB600's, and just purchased a SB700. I was really eyeing the 910, but all the reviews seemed to favor the 700. I'll let you know what I think when it comes in tomorrow!

Cheers!
Jake

I do agree a OEM is a good first flash as mine was, the SB600.

But I just got the Meike mk-910 and it is pretty much a knock off SB-910 for a 1/4 of the price and so far I don't have any complaints.

But yeah, the SB700 will serve you well and is a well regarded flash.

I looked into that Meike after CoastalConn got it
BUt I found some not so good things about it .. so I opted for the Yungnuo.
I can't recall the user reviews I found now as I've deleted my log of them But it certainly "looks" identical.

I've had zero issues with my 3 Nikons other than user error.

Just got my SB700 yesterday, and I already love it. It's light years ahead of the 600, and is big enough to where I think the 910 would have been TOO big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back