External Flashes

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by his4ever, Apr 28, 2007.

1. his4ever

his4ever TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mk...

Tonight I had an opprotuniy to practice taking pictures with my external flash. I knew to take care of appiture and stuff... but my pictures still look like I used the on camera flash or they came out underexposed. What can I do to get better with the flash?????

So Bummed.

2. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Don't use direct flash. That's one of the main reason's you buy a speedlight. faster recycle times, more power, wireless control (if you shoot Nikon), and the tilt/swivel head. If you use it directly, than yeah of course it's going to look like your onboard flash, it's the same thing just elevated.

3. his4ever

his4ever TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    well I have a bounce flash... I even tried defusing it. Just not impressed with the results. I really like to work outside better... but I know I have to learn to o indoor shots. Any ideas on how I can practice better?

4. his4ever

his4ever TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    oh to top off my whole experence tonight... it was all in a gymnasium. No ceiling to bounce off of

5. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Beg, borrow or buy an umbrella stand set-up for your flash. Barring that, bounce it off a a foam core board (with or without aluminum foil [foil if you are going
    to have it back a ways])). The larger the area of the light source as seen by the subject (reflected or not), the softer the light.

6. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Tilt 45 degrees to the side and hold a white sheet of paper a short distance from the flash. That is great if you have nothing else to bounce it off. It works great outdoors. The other option would be to build yourself a small softbox. I have a 21x21cm softbox made out of cardboard and paper and it takes fantatic photos outdoors but I lose my autofocus ability in the dark :(

7. his4ever

his4ever TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ok... so last night it would have been a great idea to bounce the light off of something.... I am going to have to have someone help me next time then if I do core board or an umbrella (or paper) then right?

8. kugy5

kugy5 TPF Noob!

In my estimation much of the problem of on camera flash is that its used as a main light, if we approach it as a fill light,By raising the asa and by dragging the shutter it will not have that flat stark look of on camera flash, I realize that the color temp of the available light needs to be addressed, either by adding a filter in front of the flash and setting the correct light preset for the color temp. Many situations may not lend themselves for setting lights up. (event Photography, News Photography, )