External hard drives?

I have a really stupid question to ask regarding backing up files externally. This thread motivated me to get a 1TB portable hard drive. I'm backing up as we speak. I have several thousand images on my computer and it's taking a loooong time. My question is: when I go to back up each week, does it re-copy all these files or does it detect the files already there and only add the new ones?

Well...do you have "back-up software" to do this? Or is this a simple drag-and-drop process where good ole' Tee is in charge??? How the backup is made can be set up under all backup software that I have ever used. For example, you can set it to back up ALL files, and overwrite. Or set it up to back up only NEW files made since the last date of backup, and so on. Mac? Windows? What app? Tee or S/W?

Windows based. My weekly computer generated reminder popped up to back-up. This time I actually listened to it and the reminder gave me a choice between discs or external hard drive so I connected my hard drive and off it went doing it's thing. The status window did have some custom settings but I didn't see anything like overwrite or new files only. It gave me a list of things I could choose to back-up. I'll have to dig deeper on this. When it comes to actual computer stuff, I'm pretty elementary...but I can google like a mofo (which I probably should've done :lol:).

Most reactions

Back