External storage device?

D40

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I just got a 160Gb external hard drive and I want to know the best way to use itL:) I have two options:

1. I can put lightroom on my computer and then use the external drive as a back up drive spacifically for Pictures

2. I can put lightroom and all my picture stuff on the external hard drive and keep it seperate from my main computer drive and turn it on only when I need to upload and edit pictures.

I want to keep my picture stuff away from my C drive to keep it as free from corruption as possible. What do you guys do? Thanks

use it to back up important files.

I'd put lightroom in your C drive in your computer.. it will run a bit faster (just a bit) and keep your 160gb drive dedicated to photos.

However, every once in awhile, backup your photos to another media (dvds for instance). Hard drives are the first things to go bad in computers. They have moving parts, that's why. I am a tech repair hobbyist in my community, and 90% of the non-working computers people bring in have bad hard disks, and 90% of those people thought about backing up their data, but didn't.

So, I'd say:
-Lightroom on C
-Back up data (as Sw1tchfx said)

I am assuming that D40 would use the external to back up the directory that Lightroom uses not install it there.

However, here is what I do: I use SyncToy to backup my Pictures folder on my external hard drive. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/synctoy.mspx

Its a very handy powertoy if you are using Windows.

The Mac alternative is iSync (iSurprise right), however, I have no experience with this so I am not sure how easy it is to use.

And then of course you can always do it manually.

yup...

(Assuming that your external drive is slower than your internal... like Firewire 400 or USB 2.0.)

For lightroom, O/S, workspace, you need fast storage. Keep that on your internal (faster) hard drive.

For storage, keep it on your external. Even better... get two externals and mirror.

Soon you may well discover that 160GB fills up quickly. Storage/externals are getting so cheap that you may find it to your benefit to get another (larger) when you find it on sale. I've seen terabytes for less than $400USD. The only recommendation I can give is to go with a reputable manufacturor if you increase storage capacity.

Soon you may well discover that 160GB fills up quickly. Storage/externals are getting so cheap that you may find it to your benefit to get another (larger) when you find it on sale. I've seen terabytes for less than $400USD. The only recommendation I can give is to go with a reputable manufacturor if you increase storage capacity.

If you can look around, you'll be able to find a 500 GB external drive for 100 bucks.

If you can look around, you'll be able to find a 500 GB external drive for 100 bucks.

You can also make your own external drive and often times its a lot cheaper. Just pick up a external drive and enclosure and an internal HDD plug them together and it works.

I'd suggest you don't spend your money this way at all and wait until you can afford something like a Terrastation for hardware failure redundancy

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
With all this great advice, just remember that there isn't a single one of these devices that will help you if your house burns down and all of your drives are in it... backups need to be taken off site.

If you have someone that knows computers have them install a hard drive into your computer. It will be faster and more reliable. I see hard drive enclosures die much faster than internal drives. I'm not sure why but it may be that they are more susceptible to power surges/fluctuations, from either their own power supply or the USB cable.

Since you need to backup your data, I would use the enclosure as a backup device only, and don't store it near your computer. Leave it in your car or somewhere else. Oh yeah, if you leave it in your car, then for fire prevention, don't park your car in the garage :lmao:.

The Mac alternative is iSync (iSurprise right), however, I have no experience with this so I am not sure how easy it is to use.

It works OK.
I have a LaCie 500Gig d2 Quadra. You can stack four, has every input port known to man and has a small footprint.
Best of all it comes with SilverKeeper.
I copy all of my files over using iSync and do an archived backup using SilverKeeper. It's just belt and braces in case of a corrrupt file.
As I only run the d2 when I'm backing up it has quite a long life expectancy. If it starts to show signs of going then I will just by another and do a transfer.

I see hard drive enclosures die much faster than internal drives.
External drives typically don't power down when they're not used, also they have as you said inferior electronics and power supplies.

just remember that there isn't a single one of these devices that will help you if your house burns down and all of your drives are in it... backups need to be taken off site.
If my house should burn down, don't mention to me about a f**kin harddrive - Just don't!!
Anyway it's probably one of the few things that will survive, a little steel box inside a bigger steel box, I fancy it's chances more than most things.

Thanks guys, The drive was given to me so I did not pay a cent for it:) I will probably put LR on my C drive and then back up my Pictures to the External drive.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back