Extreme Beginner

That's where my knowledge falls apart, I'm afraid. I've not had personal exposure to the D40. However, you can compare them on a site like http://www.dpreview.com .

Well thinking about it, what exactly is the difference with the D40 and D60. If I made say another 100$ investment, would I be getting some of the more high-end features of the D80, with the simplicity of the D40?

After testing Nikons, there's no way I could ever get anything else, especially since I have also tried Canons and Sonys...

Im probably making a complete assumption, but like I said, complete beginneer :D

The D60 has a larger screen, the D300's expeed image processing, a vibration reduction lens, better white balance adjustments, and the 10 meg D80 sensor which can be helpful for cropping

The D40 has 1/500 flash sync speed that you might enjoy.

edit: the D60 also has active D lighting which is very useful for contrasty scenes

Last edited:
I can get the D60 with the 18-55mm VR lens, for 600$ which is what i was going to pay for the 2 lenses with the D40... and then if i really do enjoy photography, then i can probably save up for the 55-200mm lens or buy a used lens. Would you guys suggest a used lens?

I can get the D60 with the 18-55mm VR lens, for 600$ which is what i was going to pay for the 2 lenses with the D40... and then if i really do enjoy photography, then i can probably save up for the 55-200mm lens or buy a used lens. Would you guys suggest a used lens?

Nothing wrong with used lenses..... but the 55-200VR is a gem for what it is.... and it's dirt cheap..

ps- you should be aware that D40/60 does not have an internal focusing motor. If you never get past the 18-55 and 55-200 combo this won't be an issue for you. Otherwise, with some lenses (non-afs) you will have to adjust the focus yourself. Some people like this and some people piddle their pants at the thought of focusing a lens.

D80's are cheap right now and you may also want to consider that.....

Just make sure you get your used lenses from a reputable source or can seriously inspect it before you buy. (or ideally, both) (have someone more experienced than you look at the lens for you)

alright awesome thanks for the advice, I'm probably going to end up testing the D80 at wolf camera and see how that goes. Yea I do not plan on ever going past 200. so that shouldn't be a problem. I think thats all my questions for right now, but I'm sure once i end up getting my camera, i'll be asking some more questions.

God I picked up a D40 for the first time today. Hoooooooly crapstick that was a tiny camera. I think I saw a smurf carrying it around. SHEESH.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back