Extreme photography---fire line photos?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by RIEMT, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I don’t need to prove myself to a brand new member on this forum by answering a completely unrelated medical question. If you don’t believe that’s what I do for a living, I don’t really care. But you should know that I’m not the only paramedic on this forum, so in the name of community self checking, we will call you out when you spout off innacruate information and try to make yourself sound like a hero.

Them having medical direction does nothing to help you out whatsoever; you’d have to be employed by them to fall under it. And I assure you they aren’t going to just throw you on the payroll because that opens them to a huge liability, and would likely also allow them to own the copyright to the photos you took while on the fire line, btw.

Also, how are you going to obtain the drugs/medical equipment to work at the ALS level? You’d need a medical license from a medical director to obtain them, or you’d have to steal them from work. The average ALS jump bag has several thousand dollars of drugs and equipment in it, so even if you could legally obtain the items it would be cost prohibitive to do so.

If you don’t want the opinions and knowledge of the forum and you’re just going to do your own thing anyway, why did you ask the question to begin with? Just looking for a bunch of photographers to tell you how amazing of an idea you had and how awesome you are?

2. snowbear

snowbear Big Furball Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Have you taken the basic ICS and NIMS courses? If not, that's a good place to start. Another consideration - you might have to be NREMT.

I'm sure you'll need your agency to approve it (required for other positions). Maybe start that process with your command staff or your Emergency Management agency. Also, as was mentioned earlier, you'd be there to work, not be a photo journalist.

3. RIEMT

RIEMT TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry guys took a bit to reply, my tour was a little longer than expected due to mandatory ot.

As for Destin, you’re right unrelated to this forum but the community never should shy away from self checking. There’s no hero complex because I assure you quite frankly I don’t have the time for that . It’s certainly not a d*** measuring contest. You’re assuming a lot. Never stated this would be a “show up being woody rescue”. I simply stated it would be a way to approach them as a “hey here’s this idea”.

Snow bear: yes I do have those courses. And yes I do still have my national cert. I’ll absolutely look into all possibilities.

4. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

Facebook likes are perfectly random. Would these people even pay for your photographs ? Plus in order to really make a living from photography you'll need to be paid a lot.

I too get praised for my photography by others in my environment all the time. I dont get fooled into thinking that is a hint I would be a great photographer.

Like others here I dont believe:
    (a) you can carry around your photography gear additionally to what a medic is supposed to carry around,
    (b) you can do two jobs well at the same time.

I guess you can get a Ricoh GR or a Fujifilm X100f or some camera like that. They are small and offer very high image quality. But you still cannot do two jobs well at the same time.