Extreme Weather Sealing Capabilites on D300

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by iflynething, Jan 30, 2009.

1. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Do you have any pictures of how extreme of weather you have taken your D300?

How far will it go?

I saw one Nikon and there was snow all over the lens and camera. Don't know what happened to the camera.

Any pictures of your camera (which has weather sealing) in extreme cases.

I'm not sure how far I can take my 300 yet. I know you can't completely submerge it, but how much rain can it take? Snow?

~Michael~

2. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Treat it like any other electrical appliance, sealing or not try keeping it dry, Nikonians forum on the same issues a user had problems with his d300 in humid conditions, (rainforest) so I wouldn't be pushing to see what it can withstand, if it happens to rain while your using it I'd wipe dry at the first opportunity and place it inverted in a dry warm place. H

3. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah I figure I couldn't get it wet THAT much. Just wondering what the upper capabilites are

~Michael~

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was in Costa Rica and signed up for a zip-line tour in the canopy of a rain forest. I couldn't bring my camera bag because we had to wear a safety harness. It wasn't raining at base camp so I brought my camera (20D, no weather sealing) with me. After traveling by horseback and hiking the rest of the way, we were up in the canopy where it started to rain. I had brought a shower cap from the hotel and tried to keep my camera dry but we had to use both hands when zipping from tree to tree and the camera got absolutely soaked.
    I turned it off and didn't take any shots in the torrential downpour...but the scenery on the way back was too good so I turned it back on and it was still working.
    On the way back to the hotel, the LCD screen fogged up, from the inside...and it took a day or two before it cleared up.
    That was more than 3 years ago and the camera hasn't missed a beat. (knock on wood).

I wouldn't recommend this for any camera that doesn't have full weather sealing...but it goes to show that you don't have to put your camera away when the first rain drop is felt.

5. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thats pretty amazing. Cameras sure have come a long way since a long time ago

~Michael~

6. Ejazzle

Ejazzle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My D300 has been totally drenched in salt water countless times. Its been in the snow and in the most humid weather. I think i have pushed it a little over its max. If you baby your cameras you would hate me. haha

7. schumionbike

schumionbike TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    holy cow, I can't believe these story I'm hearing. I guess these cameras can take quite a bit of abuse.

8. andrew99

andrew99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've had my D300 out in -20C temperatures quite a few times over the past weeks with no problems. At one point I couldn't even feel the shutter release button because my hands were so cold. The camera didn't seem to mind, though!

9. davidfromoz

davidfromoz TPF Noob!

I once spent a cold night on top of a mountain with my D300. Early the next morning I descended into a rapidly warming, humid environment. When I looked at my camera it was covered in condensate. I'm guess some parts of the interior were similarly wet. This scared the hell out of me much worse than simple water on the exterior would have.

I removed the battery, and after deciding I didn't have the time to go back up the mountain and let it warm more slowly in a drier environment kept going. I left it turned off in a warm, dry place for a bit over a day when I got down. When I turned it on it was fine and I have never noticed any difference.

10. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah they are pretty extreme, but that's what I was asking for.

I just wanted to get a general idea of how far I could take it, if need be.

~Michael~

11. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The key for me, was knowing that it was insured...that kept me from worrying too much about it.

12. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well I had the opportunity to have something like that with a guy was about to buy the camera from but it fell through and he just wanted too much for the camera and insurance.

That would give me alot of piece of mind if I had insurance

~Michael~