eye training

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Mr B, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Mr B

Mr B TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello all,

I'm new to photography, of course. So far I haven't found it too difficult to learn the technical aspects of my camera. My real challenge is getting my eyes and mind working together. Basically, this means that I want to learn to notice new things about images. I've never had any interest in visual arts until now (I'm 30). I realized one day that my mind greatly simplifies what I see. (I suppose that's necessary for all of us to some degree.) It resists absorbing itself in sensations; it very quickly tosses in concepts like "line," "shape," "color," etc., rather than attending to the images themselves.

Well, ok, all I'm trying to say is that I have a hard time noticing things, and I feel like I've hit a wall. Here are a few of my best pictures (IMO), and I'm real curious to learn what you all notice about them, good or bad. For me, I hope it will serve as eye training so I can learn to see new things. Next, perhaps some aesthetic feeling will rouse in me.

As far as what I notice about them. The colors in photo seem more striking than they were in real life. And I think the exposure and framing are okay. The depth-of-field is too small, but it was all I could do with the light I had. That's about as far as it goes for me right now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    #1 white balance is out #2 is out of focus always focus on the eyes

3. DavidElliot

DavidElliot TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yeah i agree, number 2 would have been a good photo if the focus was on the eyes and not the nose

4. OldClicker

OldClicker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    1 - I find the background very distracting - the up-down multicolored post things and another dog OOF.

2 – Focus (as already stated), the bed post sticking out of his neck and the blown out mirror on the left.

The best way I have found to learn to see is to critique a dozen or so photos every day in the beginner forum. I my also do a critique of some of the non-beginner photos without actually typing them in. Later I see if others saw the same things - they usually don't. I am still very confused but still trying.

TF

5. ypperin

ypperin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    For some it can be quite a challenge to train their eye. In all honesty I recommend going for a walk through the neighbourhood, and just allow yourself to experience your neighbourhood, rather than rushing and bustling past. By the end of the walk you will find your mind has wandered, you've thought about photography and things you would like to capture both in your neighbourhood as well as outside your neighbourhood and made little plans or come up with neat little ideas on how you can play with light and situations.

As for the pictures above they seem awefully busy which makes it hard to focus on the subject. That being said, if you love them, then they are perfect :)

Good luck!

6. AlexColeman

AlexColeman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    1 Crop for pooch
    2 Fix focus, or just keep as endearing family photo.

7. Mr B

Mr B TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks everyone. That all mostly sounds pretty good to me. But I'm having a hard time seeing how the white balance is out on #1. And for #2, wouldn't it be more proper to say the depth of field is too narrow, and not the point of focus? I feel that even if I had focused on her eyes, still not enough of her would have been in focus.

And on both, as far as the distracting backgrounds, I see what you all are saying. But I think there fine. I was just trying to document life around the house with the dogs. But, maybe I'll come to see better ways of doing that.

What about this one? It's of broccoli growing in the garden.

[​IMG]

8. AlexColeman

AlexColeman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This is nice, abstracting it with a even more shallow DOF would be beautiful.
    On 1, see where the door is, it should be white, not that yellowish tinge.
    On 2, you could get a larger DOF, focus on eyes, and then enough in focus, with a less detracting background. Overall, you are doing well.

9. OldClicker

OldClicker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    As a photograph, I would say that it is not as sharp as it could be, the edges of the head are cut off and I would have taken it (in hind sight of course) so that the other head in the upper right was not visible.

"And on both, as far as the distracting backgrounds, I see what you all are saying. But I think there fine. I was just trying to document life around the house with the dogs."

And that's fine, but didn't you post them and ask us what we 'see'? Weren't you asking how to take better photographs?

TF

10. gob144

gob144 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    number 2 is kick ass. i wish it were a little focus but it does good in my books. one is to busy.

11. Mr B

Mr B TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks all...

Please keep sharing even if in the end we have different sentiments. You're bringing up what I'm interested in either way.

12. Mr B

Mr B TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks. There are some aspects of that picture that I really like. But the person who mentioned the bed post was right - It's in a really bad place. It's amazing that I never noticed it until OldClicker pointed it out to me, and that now it's something that really bothers me about the picture. My eye has changed...