Eyepiece cap

TheFinisher3 said:
What is the eyepiece cap for? Since I got my Nikon D50, I've been clueless as to how it affects anything. :blushing:
In very long shutter speed shots, if there is bright light behind the camera, it can reach the sensor via the viewfinder...that being said, I've never used mine either!

your camera probably has an AE-lock to lock the exposure so you dont have to worry about that.

clarinetJWD said:
In very long shutter speed shots, if there is bright light behind the camera, it can reach the sensor via the viewfinder...that being said, I've never used mine either!

It can't reach the sensor. It can reach the meter. So it's only a potential issue if you are using the camera in an auto-exposure mode.

ksmattfish said:
It can't reach the sensor. It can reach the meter. So it's only a potential issue if you are using the camera in an auto-exposure mode.
Learn something everyday! Thanks Matt. I don't think I've ever used auto for a serious shot anyways, so... :D

clarinetJWD said:
Learn something everyday! Thanks Matt. I don't think I've ever used auto for a serious shot anyways, so... :D

Yeah, unless your camera strap has a pocket for the eyepiece cap it's usually the first thing people lose. If they do have a pocket for it, it goes in, and never comes out. :)

Mine has the eyepiece cap (which is soft rubber) mounted on the strap. It's a Canon thing, I think. However, you have to take the eyecup off the viewfinder in order to use it, and there's no convenient holder for that, and at 13 bucks a pop, I have to make sure I don't lose it LOL.

The remote-release socket cap is another PITA... it's tiny, and it falls out of the holder on the remote release. I've lost one, but I don't know where to get a new one...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back