F4 Phantom at sunset

silhouettes are pretty nice sometimes for aircraft. I like this one.
When did you get an F4 flying ?

This was shot at EAA AirVenture like 2014. I love these things. So obscenely loud, but unapologetically so.

My uncle flew these in Vietnam. It was his all time favorite bird.

Beautiful shot of a magnificent bird.

I've always been a fan of the Phantom. They went into service when I was in the 2nd grade, and from the first time I saw one in Boy's Life magazine I wanted to fly one. It never happened (I learned to fly, just not anything military) but I've always admired them from afar.

Funny story ... I built a model of one about 12 years ago and put some photos of it on my web site. Not long afterwards I started getting emails about it. I got an email from a guy who was in Thailand when the real one was there, I got an email from the crew chief that worked on it, a WSO who was in the same squadron, and even the daughter of the guy who flew it. The real plan is in a museum in Virginia and I've wanted to go see it for years. Maybe this year ...

I'm quite late to this thread, but I love the shot! My dad flew the F4 in Vietnam so it has an extra special place in my family.

I thin 2014 was a year I missed the EAA Airventure, because I'm sure I would have remembered seeing the F4 fly.

Most reactions

Back