DSC_5231.jpg

DSC_5268.jpg

DSC_5269.jpg

DSC_5273.jpg

DSC_5281.jpg

DSC_5288.jpg

DSC_5313.jpg

DSC_5333.jpg

Did you purposely try to find unattractive people?

Last edited:
These dont do it for me, and #5 grosses me out. Im sorry but these arnt "street" photography nor are they "candids" they are just snap shots

i guess I have to say nice try , not my intrest but good shot Im sure that you wiill get better

The main issue I have with these is that there's no situation; with one or two exceptions, it's a bunch of head-shots which don't really tell a story, and unfortunately aren't of good enough quality to be artistic. One suggestion which may work however, is to conver to fairly high-contrast black and whites, with the head shots framing a main image of the event.

Perhaps if you could explain what you wanted to achieve, we could provide some suggestions on how to arrive at a more mainstream result.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

The last one is my favorite. With the red, green and yellow background, I think of something Rastafarian, or even better I think of a man who is proud of his African heritage. I am probably just imagining this, but that's part of the fun of photography! :) It makes it more powerful to me

I think people are being kind of hard on you, but that's their right to be so. The subjects are kind of rough-looking, but IMO (and I'm a beginner, so take this lightly), the sharpness is a bit much for people photography. It shows every detail and flaw, and even makes the young man in the first photo look older. If that's the look you're going for, that's great. But if you want them to be more soft and appealing, I would try not bumping the sharpness up so much, and maybe even do a little bit of Photoshop makeup on them and smooth out their skin.

In all, I'd say you have a good idea of capturing people in their essence. Maybe zoom out a little, too, so we can get an idea of the situation and (hopefully) get some more context out of it. But I like what you're trying to do, and please keep posting your new work!

Yikes!
I find these images amusing... But unfortunately don't really see the appeal. Sorry!

I would not go as far as to call these "snapshots" only.
The separation of the subject from the background, and the idea "get up close to your subject" is not normally followed by mere snapshot takers. You did think about what you did, and you even got a nice response by some of the "faces in the crowd" that you photographed. Many spotted you and smiled for your camera.

The first, so I take it, wasn't all sharp to begin with, but you applied unsharp mask (and a bit too much of it).

As to the context in which these were taken, I assume it was a kind of parade. Gay Pride or something like that? And you captured people who marched in the parade and onlookers?

Photographically, also I feel that the last is the best. It is well focused, a profile photo is a nice addition to all your (in part VERY close!) portrait shots, his expression looks proud, and I also like the colour stripes that form the background.

Have you considered try out b&w conversions on some of these? Where the colours are not playing an important part in the photo as such?

wow... I guessed I missed the memo where it's insult the subjects day. hmm...
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyways.
I see nothing but unique and individual beauty in all of them... so... good news for me! :D

as for photography, I think you ALMOST got what you were going for...
keep in mind I'm very much a beginner, but I can see what you were trying for and that in itself makes these more than merely snapshots.
I think LaFoto was right on with her analysis... and she's one to listen to ;)

[rant]

I am insulted and thoroughly disgusted by all the comments given to the apparent "lack of beautiful people" in your subjects automaton2.

I find each one to have something of beauty or interesting in them, certainly a few are quite unique. They all had a mother and a father, perhaps a sister or brother, and possibly have a son or daughter. Would you (those responders above) tell them that their relative has been photographed where "the most unattractive people possible" could be found? Have you looked in the mirror today and decided that you're "all that"? Shame on you.

[/rant]

The rips on your photography may be warranted, but not those people in the photos.

[rant]

I am insulted and thoroughly disgusted by all the comments given to the apparent "lack of beautiful people" in your subjects automaton2.

I find each one to have something of beauty or interesting in them, certainly a few are quite unique. They all had a mother and a father, perhaps a sister or brother, and possibly have a son or daughter. Would you (those responders above) tell them that their relative has been photographed where "the most unattractive people possible" could be found? Have you looked in the mirror today and decided that you're "all that"? Shame on you.

[/rant]

The rips on your photography may be warranted, but not those people in the photos.

I like optimistic people (like yourself) but some people are just ugly... if a person is unattractive (not only sexually but also simply unapproachable) then facts are facts and they are ugly :( Their personalities may be good and they may be good people at heart, but we are talking about their physical outer appearance...

I agree mostly with kundalini. Although I would not rip on your photography. It does need some work just keep shooting and take the positive advice. I would also suggest reading some as well taking tips from the authors. Don't give up!!!

I like optimistic people (like yourself) but some people are just ugly... if a person is unattractive (not only sexually but also simply unapproachable) then facts are facts and they are ugly :( Their personalities may be good and they may be good people at heart, but we are talking about their physical outer appearance...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And as I said before I believe these people would benefit from a little less sharpness. Detail is great on almost everything but skin. People want to look, "perfect," for some reason, and an unsharp mask that shows every detail (and consequently, flaw) doesn't give that feeling of perfection. I honestly think if you took a gorgeous model (whatever gorgeous is to the critic) and put too much sharpness on their face it would give the same effect somewhat. Though I could be wrong.

I know I've learned something. If I ever post photos of people on here, make sure they're hot. I'd hate to think what people would say if someone had taken a photo like this of me (I'd probably run away crying).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back