Face It -

Neuner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I did some art work a long time ago that I've been trying to document in a different way instead of just scanning it in. I took the following photo as a first attempt. I've been getting creative block so any suggestions for a different layout along with the photo itself is appreciated.

Thanks,
Neuner

Repetitionsmall.jpg

Nada? You're not going to hurt my feelings if you don't like it.

I cant get my head round what exactly it is that is up for discussion.
A scan is as close to your art work as you can get without it being in the same room.
A photograph of your art is just a photograph.
Is it the art work itself
Is it the photo of the art work
Is it the arrangement of the art work in a photo
Did you arrange it specifically for the photo or is it the same displayed in an art gallery.

Not necessarily a critique of the artwork itself but the photograph image. Critique like you would any other photo. Composition, lighting, subject matter, exposure? If the subject matter (the artwork) is of little impact then that is fine and please state so. If the arrangement of the artwork leads much to be desired, then do you have any suggestions for improvement? This is what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

I think those are neat images and very much with other works of art (and what people call art) that I've seen.

Are you trying to give the impression of the image fading into the background with each successive picture? Or just trying to find a grouping that looks good?

One thing these reminded me of when I first saw them, was images done in glass. I've seen some glass paintings that people have done that look something like this. One woman artist paints on sheets of glass her subjects and then melts the sheets so they get waves and wrinkles, very much like the look of crumpled paper. These she hangs on a wall as if the wind blew them up there. Your work makes me think of that. Kind of hard to explain if you aren't familiar with working in glass.

Mike

Are you trying to give the impression of the image fading into the background with each successive picture? Or just trying to find a grouping that looks good?

Mike

Thanks Mike. The face by itself gave me a haunting feeling like as if the girl was upset with me but not ready to show it yet. Even with this feeling, it did not stand out as much by itself. I wanted a group of these faces with one highlighted in the middle as if it was an old girlfriend confronting you with her friends or it was the many negative thoughts she had about you that were confronting you at once.

I made light copies of the image so your attention was drawn to the central character. They were grouped together just as I imagined people gathering around a central leader. I tried to make the lighting different for each one to give depth to 'the gathering' to try and separate them so that it didn't look like one continuous image.

Does any of this make sense? I might be posting this in the wrong forum?

I think you need to think about whether the faces are the begining and end of the art work, or the scene as a whole including the forground/background/sides is actually part of it.
I dunno how much validity a photograph of artwork holds, its just a copy of the thing, like shooting somones graffiti art on a wall.
To be able to critique it as a photograph, the photo itself would need to be the artwork, at the moment the photo seems secondary.
I would try some more imaginative forgrounds/backgrounds.
I also want to crop it so only the cards are in frame, without the spaces at the sides, it would suggest there is no end to the crowd.
In dunno, its all a bit subjective..

To be able to critique it as a photograph, the photo itself would need to be the artwork, at the moment the photo seems secondary.
I would try some more imaginative forgrounds/backgrounds.
I also want to crop it so only the cards are in frame, without the spaces at the sides, it would suggest there is no end to the crowd.

Thanks Joxby! The input I was needing. I think you're right and I didn't want the photo to be secondary. Everytime I tried to give it a background, it became distracting. I'll have to think about it some more. I do like the idea of the cropping, suggesting no end to the crowd, but if I crop that close most of the picture would be white and not much different than a scan. I'll give it a try & see how it turns out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back