Factory Tested Lenses

mcopan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.triumphentertainment.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have delt with a Cameta Camera out of Amityville New York. I bought from them a while ago and they were professional and well priced. They have high rankings on Ebay with over 410,000 sales.

They have the kit lense Nikkor 55-200mm AF-S DX VR Lenses for sale. There are forth coming with the details that they have a large stock of these lenses that are "factory tested."

Does this really mean what is says or is this something to be skeptical about?

Cameta Camera is one of the larger sellers of Nikon, USA refurbished equipment, which is individually tested and checked by Nikon before it is sold to dealers like Cameta. Nikon tests each and every refurbished lens to make sure it meets standards,and only then is it sold to dealers. Canon does the same thing. This is different from new equipment, which is only checked at random; selected samples of new equipment are checked to make sure that QC goals are being met; with refurbished gear, that is not good enough, and the manufacturers do the obvious, necessary thing, which is to check each refurbished item to make sure it meets quality/performance standards.

Derrel, would you suggest to stay away from these lenses although they have been tested. Every time I here refurbished I cringe.

I bought my D60 from Cameta and have nothing but good things to say about them. Very quick response to questions, quick shipping and they have a physical store that's only about 3 hours from me if I ever have something that they can't or won't fix over the phone.

YMMV.

Derrel, would you suggest to stay away from these lenses although they have been tested. Every time I here refurbished I cringe.

I have purchased three refurbished Nikon lenses,and all were/have proven themselves to be A-okay. I bought a 70-300 G, a 28-80 AF-D, and a 180 2.8 AF-D for $369. All three refurbished Nikon lenses have had no problems. I've bought a few medium format items from Cameta Camera...I bought a Bronica 120 back one time that was so,so low-priced I was just shocked.

I dunno...refurbished Nikon lenses have a 90-day warranty. New Nikon lenses have a FIVE YEAR USA warranty. I can understand why some people wish to buy all-new. I myself normally buy used lenses most of the time.

I agree with Derrel. Personally I think the only different is the warranty. Brand new product doesn't mean it won't break. And refurbished product doesn't mean inferior than the brand new product. (I mean factory refurbished products here)

I need to get a couple paychecks first. I think I will end up with buying from them since I had nothing to complain about even when shipping from Amityville New York to Vancouver Canada.

Interesting thread. I was ignorant of the organised refurbishment/recertification of Nikon and Canon lenses. Obviously there are a numbner of considerations but i'd feel happy about buying lenses second-user, knowing they had been checked and passed on a item by item basis. What the typical saving in cost to the buyer? c.40% or so?

If you're willing to take a chance (and have a paypal account to protect yourself) you can get lucky on ebay from individuals too. I bought my 70-300 off a random person. It takes decent images.

I LOVE Cameta Camera. I live about 20 minutes away and buy most of my stuff from them.

I went in there last year before vacation for the first time just to buy some smaller items, nothing too expensive, yet I had the idea in the back of my head that I needed a lens with a wider range/quality of use than the kit 18-55 and my 70-300. I asked if they would recommend anything and the salesman pulled out an 18-135 refurbished/reconditioned lens from the case. I was interested now and asked how much and was told a number I didn't really plan on spending that day. He says, hold on a sec and goes to the guy in the back to see how much they had paid for it and comes back at me with a much lower price and I was sold. This has been my favorite lens since and it has performed flawlessly. I believe they also offer a 6 month warranty on any used equipment they sell.

They are all very friendly and knowledgeable. I'm by no means a pro (yet!) and I NEVER feel as if I'm inferior in that store.

Let us know how it works out if you decide to use them.

~Tom

Interesting..

I bump my lens around so much.. I am surprised it's not broken.

Most reactions

Back