Fair comparison?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by elrafo, Feb 4, 2006.

1. elrafo

elrafo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have seen this comparison between the Canon 5D and the Nikon D200, I was wondering if they blured intentionnaly D200 pictures... lol
    http://www.potatobear.com/ND200/D200F.htm
    scroll down for the pictures.

can there be such a difference between the 2 sensors?

what do you think of ?

2. cjoe

cjoe TPF Noob!

for starters, it looks like they have the a different colour setting on the canon. I only use a 350D but i can tell that they have applied a vivid colour setting, rather than a setting that reflects true colour. This test looks very biased towards the canon. Each camera has its strengths and weaknesses, but the difference shouldn't be as marked, or as biased as this 'test' shows. I think you should disregard this test.
    It also doesn't help that the article appears to be in chinese or japanese.

3. elrafo

elrafo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Biased, I thought so too....

thanks to share your opinion.

raf.

4. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Ignore that, it's completely meaningless. For starters, it looks like the white balance settings have been chosen very badly. Secondly, I suspect the lenses are different and that the apertures are vastly different.

The whole thing smacks of a person who has borrowed two cameras, turned them on and pressed the shutter with the subject dead-centre. Proper tests are conducted using the most neutral external factors - like both cameras on tripods in a controlled lighting environment shooting a test chart and set scenes. Any variance between shots makes comparison meaningless.

Just an opinion!

Rob

5. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

Yeah, I'd check the comparisons on dpreview if you want a fair one.

6. 'Daniel'

'Daniel' TPF Noob!

Some of the D200 pictures aren't even in focus and look alot more compressed.

7. Polygon

Polygon TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes that is corrent, that's why the test is called "Nikon D200+AF85/1.4 VS Canon 5D+EF135/2" and does exactly that. Have a look here to get another "comparison" with more similar lenses where the D200 gets off much better imho. But I don't think that anyone who can't read the text can really decide about what the author of the page wanted to show. So perhaps a bit unfair to call him "Canon biased"?

8. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

The original question was about whether the sensors were vastly different. I was pointing out that a test which compares completely different lenses is not going to answer that question.

I agree that it's probably a little unfair to the author to say anything about his/her intentions as the page is pretty cryptic unless you're a Japanese reader. Nonetheless, for two similar cameras, there's a marked difference in almost every aspect of the shots, so even for a fun comparison, it's pretty meaningless.

Rob