Fairly new at photography

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by flipmachine, Jan 1, 2010.

1. flipmachine

flipmachine TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Well, I have been doing photography for about 5 months now, and I love it...... I got a d90 with 18-105 vr lens for my birthday... I know, I know, the lens is nothing special, but I took some photo's at my first wedding since I have had the camera, I hope you like and if you don't, please dont be afraid to give me any pointers or tips... TIPS for sure if you can, gotta learn from the pro's :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Auspiciousnight

Auspiciousnight TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just some general stuff. I am no pro btw but I guess you can take it for what its worth :)

Number 1 is pretty good, probably lacking a little color and fuzzy in the corners but I think its a great shot with lots of emotion.

Number 2 another good photo. Just try and keep those fixtures out of your photos (the light and smoke detector

Number 3- Needs to be straightened out a bit and the couple probably should be centered in the photo. This is a simple crop fix.

Number 4- Good photo

Number 5- Same thing as number three. Use the fence in the background as a straightening point and center the group. In this photo if it were me I would have shot the group using the tree line, stood more to the left using the tree line to give it a lot of depth.

Hope youre having fun! Keep it up!

3. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Overall, images are nice, a bit to soft. Exif shows that you shot at slower shutter speeds - avoid doing that w/o a flash (flash freezes action). Lens by default is soft, not the best one but fine if you know its ups downs and how to use it correctly :) boost the sharpness to about 5, images will be crispy clear.

Shot of my daughter with the lens same as yours mounted on D90
    ISO 200, f/8, 1/200s
    the only thing in PP is BW over everything but the eye, crop, and the blue border (which in the final print, b4 the print, i deleted).
    [​IMG]
    Looks pretty sharp :D

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  4. flipmachine

flipmachine TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I LOVE that pic of your daugther, I am so gonna try that, and I forgot to mention, about the wedding pics, I was not the main photographer, so I had to snap what I could, I kept telling them to look at the person they were paying for pictures.... I didnt want to be the reason why there main wedding pictures were wacky. But once again, all your input will be put to use. I am getting to the stage where I just bring my camera everywhere. LOVE IT!

5. JustForSneaks07

JustForSneaks07 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    nice shots. Was that you getting married or were you the photographer

6. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks. Surprisingly she didn't move, usually its almost IMPOSSIBLE to get anything like that. I'm sure you weren't the main photog, just a guest with a cam (we all do that). The only reason why I posted it is b/c it was shot with the same lens that you said isn't that great.
    More and more I see people blaming their images on lenses. But it takes MORE then a lens to make a good image.
    Keep the lens you got, learn its weaknesses and its strength and you'll be surprised how much you can do with it :). If you want, PM me, and we'll talk more about it.
    Good Luck

7. flipmachine

flipmachine TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    For sure a person can not blame a lens, its about vision, its about being patient, and to me, just have to feel the shot and I think everyone has different taste. For example here is a pic I took, it was cold and snowing alot, so we had to shovel our driveway, and my wifes cheeks were all red and I liked the way she looked. I know alot of ppl will say there is nothing in the pic, but to me...you get the idea. I know the picture is not all that great, but its also the moment, the context etc. Once again, thanks for all the great tips big help.

[​IMG]