Fairytale Castle. St Michaels Mount Cornwall UK x 7 CC Welcome

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by SkyHighPhotographs, Mar 14, 2008.

1. SkyHighPhotographs

SkyHighPhotographs TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is the start of the Michael Mary leyline which connects with other sacred sites throughout the ancient land of Britain, including Glastonbury Tor in the Vale of Avalon and StoneHenge etc - St. Michaels Mount at dawn with the tide dropping to reveal the ancient granite causeway, enabling you to walk across to the island.

This was a particularly damp and misty morning with lots of fine drizzle in the air, which is very common here.

Photos taken at about 5am in the morning.

Comments appreciated.

7 photos altogether.

1/

[​IMG]

2/

[​IMG]

3/

[​IMG]

4/

[​IMG]

5/

[​IMG]

6/

[​IMG]

7/

[​IMG]

Looking forward to receiving your feedback, or if you have a favourite amongst these few.

Many thanks.

Mark

2. KevinDks

KevinDks TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the composition in number 4 the best - the causeway forms a perfect leading line. What a shame about the weather - you have captured just how grey and flat it must have been, not ideal conditions for scenic photography. At least there aren't a thousand tourists out there on a day like that!

3. SkyHighPhotographs

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Many thanks Kevin for your comment, appreciate it.

The weather, well, you know how it is in Cornwall, always damp, humid and invariedly, raining or very heavy drizzle, you get used to it.

Whilst some may say it doesn't aid photography here, I hold the opposite view, that it is what it is and if anything, simply aids to the atmospherics of the place.

In the past, people have commented about my photos favourably because of this factor, that the photos have a lind of washed out look to them, damp and earthy, almost like watercolours.

It's certainly a great place for photography.

Enjoy the weekend and hopefully, see you around the forum.

All the best!

Mark

4. gman172

gman172 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    no.4 hits me the most

dont you use photoshop or similar to edit and to take that wishy washy look away? - im sure you could make much more of it

and get back there on a good day - early (sunrise)

keep it up

andrew

5. SkyHighPhotographs

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To be honest, I prefer not to use Photoshop, as editing the photos I believe would detract from the misty, washed out, watercolour look which I enjoy.

To use Photoshop as a manipulation, striving for an exactness, control over the image, imposing such upon the natural landscape here, I feel takes away from the very naturalness, of the landscape.

Warts and all, I prefer the images generally speaking as they are, true to form and the landscape around them. I like to maintain that integrity rather than seeking to create a perfect, false image, portraying something, which is not there.

Thank you for your compliment on Image 4 though, appreciate your feedback.

Perhaps I should add too, that it's not always possible to get the image which you ideally want, i.e. sunrise, very early morning, just as the tide is ebbing away, revealing the causeway bit by bit (with no tourists), taking these images was very much dependent on the state of the tide at this time of day.

6. Pleasetakeitkind

Pleasetakeitkind TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Personally, i use photoshop for different reasons (i find digital photography only to be usefull for rediculous over production), but i think a little bit of editing would benefit your work. With a digital camera, you aren't going to be getting the awesome dynamic range of the scene. If you're not using photoshop, then i assume you aren't shooting in raw and your camera is doing a whole bunch of stuff to your images outside of your control. I think film would be a better suited medium for your style. Regardless, i actually really dig your stuff. Good work.

7. SkyHighPhotographs

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's a fair point, you are right of course. Something I'll look into more.

Thanks for that.

Cheers mate.

8. GeorgeUK

GeorgeUK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Great composition on 4 5 and 6. :)

I understand what you mean about the washed out look. Personally I think, if you retook these on a sunny day with blue skies and cotton wool clouds I think they'd look even better. :thumbup: Keep up the good work.