Fakeography

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Mufasa, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Mufasa

Mufasa TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Whenever i take a picture i try to make it good out of the camera. If i screw up then i retake the picture and if i can't retake it then i just say "oh well". This is a view i adopted after downloading a program called Photomatix. This is an HDR program but in the course of using it i made a few "fakeography" shots as i call them. It shocked me what can be done with programs to make photos that seemed like nothing look amazing.

[​IMG]

Since i have taken this shot i have never opened that program again and i have only edited 3 shots in Photo studio (I have taken 6300).

This brings me to the point of this post, I do not agree with post processing to "make" a picture. many time i have seen a picture with a light pole, car, random person, ect... and it was edited out. This shocks me because the job of a photographer is to protray life the way they see it (and chances are they saw the pole).

What are all of your views on this?

2. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If thats your view than you should definately use a lot of post processing. A camera cannot capture the dynamic range the human eye can so the only way for someone to portray what they see through photographt is to manipulate the final image to encompas the whole dynamic range the eye can see. There is a line in PHotomatix that can be crossed very easily from real to surreal which seems be what your refering to. For me it comesdown to does the photo look real or not and someone skilled at post processing can create realistic images without crossing that line.

3. moliver

moliver TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I guess it's up to the photographer as to what they're trying to accomplish. If I look at a photo like the one you linked there I just think 'OK, wow, you know how to use photoshop'. I'm sure there's a lot of photoshop users who'll disagree, but I don't see that as a terribly impressive skill. On top of that, a lot of people who do this sort of thing only know a couple tricks, and very quickly their photos become very boring. I suppose the average internet surfer might find it very impressive, but that's not for me, thanks.

4. Artograph

Artograph TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I hear you Muf....but I tend to think like a "purist" anyway. I am just a beginner, and I thought that's what photography was supposed to be too....to take a beautiful, traggic, or whatever else shot and evoke feelings in the viewer.

On the other hand....I've been cropping and playing with colour a little---and let me tell you, it is kind of fun!!! I almost feel a little naughty doing it!!! LOL!!

All of this said....my goal is always to try to get a shot...and do it "right" the first time (so that no other post processing is required).

;O)

5. ilockert

ilockert TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Photography is art no matter how you look at it. Yes some people go overboard but some people that that about some of the worlds best artist. Not saying your wrong, I try not to open and programs except Nikon picture software and that just how i keep the organized. Now sometimes I get bored and start playing with the HDR software and photoshop, but when I mess with those I try to take it to the extreme level and make it look as fake as possible.

6. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    uh, we had these discussion so often on here ;)

just keep in mind, that there is no unprocessed image. Either the camera processes it using the parameter the camera's firmware programmers though best, or it is processed out of camera in the raw converter and/or PS and you decide which parameters to use.

(with film this is similar: choice of film, lab, or developing at home).

This sort of processing is of course very different from changing geometries, removing object by cloning and such. The latter does not suit a journalistic approach, but it does help if you just want to create some work of art.

7. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    On the other hand there are journalists who rightly feel that all photos are postprocessed in any event, so there is no problem with removing extraneous objects or making other changes that do not contribute to or change the subject of the photo.

skieur

8. GMan_nz

GMan_nz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Is this a question of manipulating any photograph, or is it a question of digital manipulation?

For some reason I used to have similar feelingas about digital post processing, probably because that even as a complete beginner I wanted to be taking the best possible images right out of the camera. Basic colour or exposure adjustments seemed like I was cheating, and that I was using my computer to do the photography rather than the camera.

I still have some of those hangups, but the thing that helped change my viewpoint was learning a little about the origin of some of the tools in Photoshop. Once I understood that 'dodge', 'burn', and 'sharpen' (and probably a bunch of others) were all tools available to photographers using film - I totally relaxed about it. Yes, there are may things you can do in Photoshop that you couldn't do with film processing, but it seems to me now that digital post processing is not the sin that I thought it was.

I never had the opportunity to even enter a darkroom and play with the chemicals, lighting, masking, paper types etc etc etc in the days when 'analogue' was all that was available. Now with digital, I think we have many of the same tools, with a few enhancements (including the ability to 'undo' :lol:!), plus a few new tools.

But where do we draw the line as to what level of manipulation is acceptable? Well I guess that's a very personal thing, and will depend on the image, the intended use, audience, whatever. But at the end of the day, I think we need to recognise that the final image has always been subject to various 'manipulations' in the process.

9. rmh159

rmh159 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I say who cares. I don't feel it's the photographers job to represent an image as they saw it at all. I think it's their job to represent their interpretation of the image... and there's a huge difference.

I always come back to the "Who really gives a F." response to this type of issue. If you don't want to... that's cool. If someone else wants to... that's cool. It's just art... isn't the point of art to not have rules / standards / elitist mentalities?

10. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    You can go around breaking painter's brushes but don't be surprised if one of them sticks the pieces in your ear. ;)

Don't take this as a personal attack because I'm just trying to illustrate a point and the point is: Who among us sees reality as it truly is? Certainly not you Sir or Madame! Point out to me which of two volumetrically equal objects is the densest by the difference in the way space/time is warped around them. Tell me which of the Eleven dimensions is the one that goes up and doglegs to the right.

The point of photography is not to capture Truth, only to illustrate a slice of it and thereby illuminate a bit of yourself in the process.

What good is photography without illumination after all?

mike

11. GMan_nz

GMan_nz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Yo, Mikey! Can I get some of what you're smoking, dude:mrgreen:

12. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    20 hours of Post Processing to meet a deadline. :)

You're welcome to it. ;)