Faking it: Who needs a $1900 lens?

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If you can't afford a $1900 Canon 85mm f/1.2L lens, just fake it. :)

Example:

636621675_UJXCR-L.jpg

I decided that it might look better with a little bokeh.

638626740_nVfhP-L.jpg

Man I love digital and Photoshop. :)

Odd how the close clouds are blurred but the distant ones are in focus, kind of :lol:

This is always triky to do though - for websize as the sizes posted its rather easy, but for large images and certainly for images with a very detailed dividing boarder between in focus and out of focus its very time consuming to do right.

I have read of methods like this, though most people consider it best that you have the good bokeh before you start - eg here (scroll down to base for the background section).
Juza Nature Photography

I think its because its very easy to overdo it (and to mess up the dividing line on something like the grass in your shot and have it as a hard boundary rather than diffuse) and get a very unnatural look

doesn't quite look right to me...

:lol:

Wow, you rock man.

:lol:

*headdesk*

The dividing line is actually down around her ankles.

Well, it was a valiant effort, and if you showed it to someone a little less experienced, they may even think it was done by an 85 1.2, but I've seen some shots from that lens, and it would be darn hard to match. :)

I am guessing Alien Skin Bokeh PS plug-in?

Well, it was a valiant effort, and if you showed it to someone a little less experienced, they may even think it was done by an 85 1.2, but I've seen some shots from that lens, and it would be darn hard to match. :)

I am guessing Alien Skin Bokeh PS plug-in?
You're right, yes... Alien Skin Bokeh plug in and about 5 minutes of masking off the area I wanted blurred. I'm sure if I applied myself I could do far better.

Here's another example I did. Just learning the tool really.

Before:

539267627_kcB2Z-L.jpg

After:

638658643_ybWvd-L.jpg

Again, a very quick edit.

Again, very nice... but you forgot to blur the area visible through the left rear window. :)

I think a combination of Mask Pro 4 and this plug-in could do some very interesting things.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back