Fall bridal portrait.

Shockey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
800doneproDSC_4881_pp_edited-1.jpg

This is beautiful, I think the lighting is very nice!

Beautiful.

May I ask a question?

I find the skin tone in this pic to be perfect. What factors do you think are involved in this, and to what extent?

That is, how much of this capture are due to:
- actual skin tone of the subject?
- the lighting that you have set-up/created (please explain)?
- the lens?
- the camera body/sensor?
- post processing?
- any other skills you have brought to this?

Bottom line: I would love to be able to capture skin tones likes this. How do you do it?

Thanks.

Very nice shot and lighting. I love that time of day, good work :)

Aritay: You can check out the exif data...

it was a d700 with probably a 70-200 2.8 (vr?)
it looks like there was some sort of fill flash and the subject was backlit.

Other than that, you'll probably get better answers by asking specific questions, instead of basically "tell me every step you took in creating this shot"

Thanks everyone.
36" umbrella with sb800 high left and the sun was the backlight. Just before sundown.
The flash gives it the warm tone and she had perfect skin.
I don't think the lens camera had much to do with the skin tone in this.
I use D2X mode 1 which helps a little, then getting the exposure right keeps the color in the pocket.
I find that if the skin tones look a little off sometimes the enhance tool to check the skin tone in Photoshop can bring it back in line or at least show you if there is a problem.

Well I do like the light, but I'm not sold on the lighting.

You did a wonderful job combining the strobe with the daylight. Very nice.
Did you have some sort of on-camera flash too? What's causing those catch-lights?
While there is some modeling, I find this has a "flat" feel to it. It could use some more shaping. It's more apparent in her arm and torso.

Beautiful background! Did you consider adding a vignette at the bottom of the frame?

-Pete

I use D2X mode 1 which helps a little, then getting the exposure right keeps the color in the pocket.
I find that if the skin tones look a little off sometimes the enhance tool to check the skin tone in Photoshop can bring it back in line or at least show you if there is a problem.

Could you please expand on these two points:

> What is "D2X mode 1" - - and why would that help a little?

> How do you check the skin tone in PS? That is, is checking "skin tone" vs. any other color/subject different? (And, did you do any PS adjustments in this particular photo?)

thanks for your explanations here, very helpful

(I'm an old film shooter, and I often find myself not liking many digital renderings of skin tone. But your photo here got it beautifully - - hence my questions.)

Catchlights are from above left from the softbox and across the eye is the light from the horizon behind me, there is a vignette on the bottom of the frame. Thanks.

D2X mode 1 is the mode the camera used to take the pictures. Typically flat which keeps the skin tones neutral.
My Photoshop program has in the Enhance menu a check skin tone button.
This photo is 95 percent processed in Lightroom other than checking the skin tone in Photoshop. Thanks.

very good backlight photograph....with a great mood of the bride...so spontaneous.

D2X mode 1 is the mode the camera used to take the pictures. Typically flat which keeps the skin tones neutral.

Here's a very noob question: So this D2X mode 1 - - this only effects the JPEG file? That is, this will have no impact on the image captured in RAW?

Do you (or anyone reading this) have any idea if this type of option is available in a D90 - - and if not in the same exact way, something similar?

thanks again

Most reactions

Back