Fall photos C&C please :D

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Sqiud, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Sqiud

Sqiud TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey there. This is my first photo posting, and I've had the camera for three days thus far, so any bit of constructive critique & comments will be absorbed and appreciated =]

[​IMG]
    , did a smallish crop on this but it is otherwise untouched

[​IMG]
    , I love abstract art, so I love this shot personally, however, what (if anything) makes it good or bad and what (if anything) would make it better?

And yes, it was really that dreary out, hah, I love New England :]

Thanks!

2. Inst!nct

Inst!nct TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok, well to this first shot, i see that you did try and incorporate the rule of thirds, so gj on that, however, the rule of thirds does not cause a shot to necessarily stand out. What im saying is that although i know that the tree to the right is the main subject, due to the title, another reader might be dismayed on what it is, what you might want to do is..

1) get in closer, bring more attention to three
    2) try to get away from the background distractions
    3) try not to get that whole "city" feel into the picture
    4) DEFINETLY shoot in like f / 4.0 or something, itll greatly improve your picture

What is good is that im digging the colors of the tree, and for a starting shot it isnt bad.

As for the second picture, being one that likes abstract pictures, i like it, but a couple things id like to say, just because its abstract, doesnt mean all the technical aspects of photography should be forgotten, the clouds are a bit out of focus, idk wether they were meant to, but i also dont really see a main subject to this picture, generally, even in abstract art, there is a clear subject, here i dont see one, i also suggest that you crop out the bottom of the picture (esp. the tree line).

Hope my advice helps :)

3. Sqiud

Sqiud TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks a lot. You've cleared a lot up for me!

A question... do photographers often take a shot anticipating a crop? For instance, that tree is in a park that is smack in the center of a large city, so it'll be very hard or impossible to find a building-free shot from a nice angle. Shooting with a crop in mind would make it possible...is that something you usually avoid?

Good points on the sky photo.

And thanks once again. I'll try to get some more of that tree tomorrow for comparison. :)

4. Hooker771

Hooker771 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    im a noob and watched a youtube video today where a guy said he takes his photos with PP in mind. Meaning he knows how he is going to crop, color, condense, etc. every photo he takes. That is awesome to me! I may be able to have the final product in mind for one shot out of a hundred. But thats why I post on the beginners forum.

5. Inst!nct

Inst!nct TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Do photographers often take a shot anticipating a crop? Um, i would say no, generally, a crop reduces image quality, so unless youve seen some extraordinary miracle and dont have time to change your lens, then yes, you should be moving in closer, zooming in closer, as the pixel to image quality stays the same.

For the tree, although i liked the tree itself, i feel like the angle youre going at it is wrong, i've seen a wonderful tree in my neighborhood, and also want to take a picture of it, but idk how, so i cant help you much on that, however, i can say that the angle you are taking it at is a little boring, photography for me is all about showing the audience a different angle, something they have never seen before.

6. Sqiud

Sqiud TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, I just need to look for a different subject. I went back today , just to look at the scene and couldn't find a better position. Thanks a ton for the advice, once again!

I'm starting to get some ideas of what not to do haha :)

7. RancerDS

RancerDS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Really like the first photo, but someone did suggest that a better framing would have enhanced it. The second one doesn't do much for me. Both are still a good shots.