Fall-themed session

JaimeGibb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am absolutely learning SOOO much with every single shoot I do...it's fascinating really. Here are some shots from a shoot I did recently, with my own critique added. Mind giving me any more? Thanks!!

PS: These were all done in the family's backyard, I brought the props (even if you think they are cheesy, they requested them so there ;) ). Also all done with my 85mm 1.8.

1. I love this shot, and this was the family's fave. His shirt is blown though...Also, I cropped it too close overall because when they ordered an 8x10, it chopped off the tip top of his head. Ill have to remember to leave room in crops.
Zachary7.jpg

2. I cut off his toes, but I feel like it works here...yes?
Zachary5WF.jpg

3. Obvious motion blur...higher shutter next time (check...) Also seems overexposed compared to the others. Which would you say is properly exposed?
Zachary6.jpg

4. Ok, I'm sorry, but I have to preface this shot and the next with a kind of long explaination...first off, the little boy, Zach, was getting very fussy by the end of this shoot, and the end is when we did the family shots. We have rescheduled, free of cost, to get more family shots because they really wanted him smiling and he's obviously not smiling here. Plus he was just done, and we needed to end (hey, it happens with kids). Secondly, this father wasn't exactly my cup of tea...While his wife was trying to get Zach to smile, the father would go "Ug, he's not cooperting...I don't understand why he's not cooperating..." in this really annoyed, gruff manner.Um, hello, HE'S ONE YEAR OLD! I was impressed he even sat there that long!! Lastly...the dad really wanted shotsin front of these evergreen trees they have in their backyard...I just wasn't a fan of them I guess (oh and PS, as I was leaving, the mom said to me, "Is a check ok? It's blah blah dollars, right?" and the father goes, "For what?!?! Im just kidding..." Great way to make me feel appreciated...)

So anyway, my whites are blown again here.
Zachary22.jpg

5. Whites are blown here too...How can I fix that? Not FIX it, but not do it again...also, since I am reshooting this family, how would you suggest posing them? This shot looks awkward.
Zachary20.jpg

6. Storyboard I created. I had another "out take" in the middle (close up of child's fingers on a pumpkin) but mom asked me to switch it to this shot.
storyboard3.jpg

I think they look ok - eyes are nice and sharp (except dad's - cant see them at all) The exposure looks alright, I think, but on my monitor the w/b seems off. They are all a bit blue.

Thanks rub...yea the family shots seem blue to me too, but not the other ones.

I agree that the shots are a bit blue. Do you use a gray card? They work wonders. Nice shots. I really like your storyboard.

I did not use a gray card...I should be able to learn how to control exposure without one, right?

Thanks, I just learned how to do storyboards so I'm really proud of it!! Haha.

Liked the 3rd, 5th and last photos. I think they're ok. Even the way you cropped the photos. The kid's eyes are sharp. Nice work.:)

Thanks Youbetcha :) I do sometimes have a problem focusing on the eyes at all times, so I am happy all of the eyes are sharp. Except the dad's of course, his disapear.

So you guys are saying they are "ok"...any particular suggestions to make them "wow!"? :) It's much appreciated!!!

I'm not really sure why the whites are blown... are you using some kind of reflector or something that is blanching their skin? either that or it's metering on the greenery (which looks more accurate). If you shot raw you may be able to lower the exposure. If that's possible I would definitely recommend it.

Yeah, I'm definitely seeing the blue eyes on the first three of just the child.

Overall not bad, just definitely work on the highlights, because the skin is really going to be the focus of their eyes, and if that has no detail they won't like it nearly as much. I would try to get the skin right above all else (and eyes).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back