Fallen Soldier returns home

Manaheim,

Thank you very much for the wealth of information you have provided here...certainly has shed significant light on the matter for me.

As for apature, The two "people" shots were taken on auto and the apature was at f5.6. The shots of the procession were taken on apature priority at f16. As I didnt have a tripod with me and higher f#s went below 1/60 ss. I didnt want to risk soft focus and shake ganging up on me to ruin every picture.I probably could have switched to manual and locked the focus at infinity and done better, but thats hind sight and now I'll never know

Vince

you captured the mother and daughter well... not to sound like an ass, but this is a good subject (in an eye-opening way).
some are just a bit out of focus. I second the aperture suggestion.

Is it a new cam? If so, what kind?

You may be aware of this, but digital camera output nearly always needs to be sharpened at least a touch. I'm a Nikon guy, and I've found that aside from the D70 all of the Nikons tend to be QUITE soft. I usually turn the on-camera sharpening option up at least a notch and then do an unsharp mask in photoshop on nearly every pic.

I did a quick job on 2 of your shots... both set to 90% sharpness, 2.2 pixel radius, 2 thresh. I got the following:

funeral1.jpg

funeral2.jpg

Mind you, I think I might do some saturation and contrast adjustments as well, but I wanted to show you exclusively what a bit of sharpening would do.

definitely like the originals better... these look pretty snap shottish.

you captured the mother and daughter well... not to sound like an ass, but this is a good subject (in an eye-opening way).
some are just a bit out of focus. I second the aperture suggestion.

definitely like the originals better... these look pretty snap shottish.

Just curious, but how exactly does sharpening the picture make it look more snap-shottish?

Just curious, but how exactly does sharpening the picture make it look more snap-shottish?

I can't exactly pin point it...
yes, the original wasn't great, but the new one looks kind of rigid, a little washed out, and poor quality... the first ones come from a quality camera, but they're just not great shots.

I can't exactly pin point it...
yes, the original wasn't great, but the new one looks kind of rigid, a little washed out, and poor quality... the first ones come from a quality camera, but they're just not great shots.

Weird. All I did was sharpen them. I actually wanted to boost contrast and saturation but was essentially just showing what a sharpening effect would have. <shrug>

Depsite the fact that as great as they are, even with the reso. fixing I must say these were difficult for me to view. Not because they lacked quality which they didn't. As a vet, I felt struck hard in knowing one of my fellow soldiers fell. Thank you for getting this on you glass.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back