Family Evening Portrait

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by Irminsul, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul 'The Column of Heaven'

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is my youngest daughter. Romulox's points are of course well taken: this is 400 ISO film scanned into jpeg cd by mpix.com. The fact that it was taken with a fast lens (Canon 50mm f/1.4 didn't help the grain, which became noise after scanning. I cropped it and re uploaded it. I don't know if it'll help. Stephanie will try to pose if she catches anyone trying to photograph her, so that accounts for what the poster conisdered a damn shame of an expression. But I like it anyway. Hey, it's my kid. Family reunion and all that.

[​IMG]

2. Trenton Romulox

Trenton Romulox TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Let me get one thing out of the way: the shot is painfully noise-ridden.

Okay, now that we have that taken care of, I'd crop in a little tighter from above on your daughter, to get rid of that distracting hair or whatever that is that is bright, white, and at the top. Also, bring it in a bit tighter from the left to even out the top cropping a bit. Her expression seems rather candid, which might work to the photo's advantage, but at the same time, the expression is not candid enough to go that route. I know that didn't explain things well at all, but what I'm trying to say is that her expression doesn't fit the picture here at all. Which is a damn shame.

In a future shot of your daughter, I'd say to focus on her eyes, find some way to really bring out the beauty of her eyes. Those eyes are some of the most beautiful I've ever seen. So, noise and expression aside: it's a good shot.

3. Irminsul

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For a slightly more candid but still painfully noise-ridden photo, this is submitted for your consideration. I captured her unawares as she answered a cel phone call. More natural, perhaps. But unfortunately displays her predilection for Nosferatu-type stick-on fingernails. Ah these kids today...

[​IMG]

4. mwct

mwct TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd also get the curves adjusted, the rule is: set contrast so that the darkest dark is black, and then set brightness so that the white is as bright as you want. That will remove the washed out look of flash photos.

5. hawee99

hawee99 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ha nice referance of Nosferatu. My buddy was him for Halloween.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry to post a pic in you critique, but I thought it was funny

6. Sweetsomedays

Sweetsomedays TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Second pic bugs me cuz I can't see both of her eyes. As someone else pointed out her eyes are just amazing!

7. Irminsul

Photos NOT OK to edit
    LOL!! I'll show that pic to my daughter, she'll be so jealous of those fingernails! Your friend looks more like the Klaus Kinski version than the Max Schreck, but that was a good one too! Now if we could just get Isabelle Adjani in the photo!

8. Irminsul

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I see your point, which is well taken. I liked it because it gives a misterioso quality, which is a quality that I've never associated with the subject.