Family outing picture taking

tmartin2347

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What mode do you use for simple photos at family events?

interesting, I thought one would go with shutter priority to capture the "moments" guess we have too many kids around our outings.

Those are the two I have been debating between, I guess it depends on what's going on at the moment.

I would either use your p mode or aperture priority and let the camera choose your shutter speed. Or shutter priority and let the camera choose the aperture. Definitely not manual if you plan on shooting constantly.

I've recently been using p mode a lot with my kids and just shooting constantly hoping I get something good. ESPECIALLY at the playground.

interesting, I thought one would go with shutter priority to capture the "moments" guess we have too many kids around our outings.
with good light you should be able to do that pretty well in A, if there is somthing going on like family playing a sport or somthing together i would say go with shutter

To honest for me when just shooting to shoot like for family events an such I just use auto. Not because I can't use any of the other modes because I can and I know how to I just don't care to. For paid work (Which I've only done twice) I just use manual, shutter priority and aperture priority.

Manual is not achieving anything that shutter or aperture priority don't unless you're deliberately trying to over or underexpose to your cameras meter, but then, you have exposure compensation in priority modes.

90% Aperture Value
5% Shutter Priority
4% Manual
1% Other modes when I'm just screwing around/lazy

I use family outing mode

I agree with the auto mode unless you want to capture something special. I am a aperture priority person (I own a Nikon FE and used to it I guess) but that could get you fuzzy shots if the camera needs to go into a slower shutter speed to compensate. I would imagine that image problems might arise with shutter priority as well. Auto will adjust everything for you so you can just point and shoot just like those smaller digital cameras but with hopefully much better results.

Manual is not achieving anything that shutter or aperture priority don't unless you're deliberately trying to over or underexpose to your cameras meter, but then, you have exposure compensation in priority modes.

This...if you are going to trust the camera's meter, why use manual in the first place? to me, I would only use manual when I have a separate light meter to use.

Most reactions

Back