Family Portrait for Publishing

Lyncca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lynccaharveyphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a coworker that wants me to take his family portrait, but it is for publishing in the paper since he just made city council. Now, obviously, this is pretty good exposure for me so I don't have any problem with it, but my question is, how does this normally work?

He is paying me to do the portrait and get the prints of whatever they choose, but would this be that he just gives the paper a photo to scan? Do they need my permission, or does this fall under freedom of speech?

It just occurred to me that I had no idea what the norm for this kind of situation.

Thanks for any advice :)

You'll supply him with print(s) for his personal use. Contact the paper and tell them you're shooting the photo. Ask what format they'd like the image delivered in.

Ok, but what I am asking is does the paper HAVE to have permission. I don't care in this situation (heck I probably wouldn't ever mind being published :mrgreen:), but I just want to know for knowing sake if any kind of release is needed, etc.

Yes. They'll want a model release from your friend most likely given that this is a portrait and not an editorial shot done by one of their photographers.

Being published in the paper is not great exposure. Especially if it is for an ad. Main thing is that all parties are clear on who owns the copyright and how often the photo can be reproduced. Check with the paper for digital specifications. Newspaper production is fast paced. Meaning that files too large or the wrong type really screw things up.

Love & Bass

In that case the paper will own the copyright. Adhere to the specs given and provide a caption and byline. Ask if you can show them your portfolio. Knock 'em dead!!!!

)'(

In that case the paper will own the copyright. Adhere to the specs given and provide a caption and byline. Ask if you can show them your portfolio. Knock 'em dead!!!!

)'(

How would the paper own the copyright to a portrait that I have taken for the family and paid for by the family, but they want to submit to the paper?

You will have to discuss that with them. The paper I worked for would buy the rights from freelance editorial photographers so that the paper could use the photo any time in the future for whatever they want. Editorially speaking of course. If you worked as a photographer for the paper the rights automatically belonged to the paper.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

New Topics

Back