Family portrait

Christie Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.christiephoto.com
It's been a while since I posted, so I scaned one of my favorite negs (that's right... film!) from last year.

family4.jpg

RB67, 180mm, Kodak Portra 160NC, homemade diffuser and Leon vignette.

i agree with frost on the softness, very nice. Also excellent use of natural light to create a nice depth to the photo... softness and depth really create a wonderful shot

I like everything about it...but I can't help feel that the people themselves are too soft. I like the softness otherwise.

I think I'm just used to selective sharpness that digital editing has made so popular.

I'm sure they were happy with it. :)

Love it! The lighting is fantastic and I really like the posing as well. The softness and colors work so well in this. Great portrait!

Thanks, all. Yeah... soft focus on everthing for years. Mike, I wish you could see a print. I think you'd like it. It doesn't come of so much as "soft"... more along the lines of taking the edge off of things... reducing contrast.

Thanks again for all the kind words.

Pete

Christie Photo said:
Thanks, all. Yeah... soft focus on everthing for years. Mike, I wish you could see a print. I think you'd like it. It doesn't come of so much as "soft"... more along the lines of taking the edge off of things... reducing contrast.

Thanks again for all the kind words.

Pete

I know all about this. I'd love to find out how to "process" these film shots so they looked as good as the prints do. **sigh**

photogoddess said:
I'd love to find out how to "process" these film shots so they looked as good as the prints do. **sigh**

I'm not certain what you're asking. This is a scan of my neg. No "processing." I was drilled into my head as a kid, "Get it on the neg!" In other words, neither of the effects (soft focus or vignette) were done at the lab.

I hope I answered your question.

Pete

Christie Photo said:
I'm not certain what you're asking. This is a scan of my neg. No "processing." I was drilled into my head as a kid, "Get it on the neg!" In other words, neither of the effects (soft focus or vignette) were done at the lab.

I hope I answered your question.

Pete

Actually I was commenting on how the prints look in comparison to the scans of the neg. It's obvious it's the same shot but the print just looks so much nicer IMO. I've been scanning negs like mad lately and despite having a pretty nice scanner I've been disappointed in the difference in the quality between the original print and the neg scan. Negs and prints are spot on but I've been unable to process the digital file so that it looks more like the print did. :confused:

Ohhhh... I get ya now. I haven't done a bunch of scanning on my own. It's just recently that I bought a low-end scanner, and have used it on just one job. I scanned the negs from a wedding I shot 2 years ago (they didn't order till now). My biggest problem was dealing with dust and such... sometimes a major scan line. Anyway, I sent the files off to the lab and got good looking prints.

I use my scanner the same way I use my cameras... I turn off EVERTHING. I set it to manual. It's likely I'm making things harder on myself, but this way my tools do only what I want them to do.

I'm sure someone else here will have a better answer for both of us.

Pete

Most reactions

New Topics

Back