Family Portraits Done a while back

Trina

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are some family portraits I did back in November. I think these are better than my senior pics. always C&C welcome. These were taken with a Nikon N75 and Nikkor lens. I also know that the guy is squinting. But some reason he always does that when he smiles even off camera.

93150911611.jpg

57321911611.jpg

37870911611.jpg

28917911611.jpg

Nice, sharp & natural looking photos.

Some people are squinters...but it doesn't help that they are out in bright sunlight. If you can orientate your subjects so that they are not looking into the sun, it will help. It would also help if you use something for fill light...a reflector or flash will usually work.

Yea the shadows and sun are a liiiittle harsh. Other than that they look great!!! I like the pose on number 3.

I can only agree with the advice given thus far. What time of day were these shot? I try to avoid mid day when possible but if it's not due to schedules I'll find a spot that has decent shade. I really like #2, nice colors, lighting and expression!

I did them around 4:30. That's teh only time we could due to conflicting schedules.

Living in Vegas has taught me to take portraits at any time of the day. If it's noon, no problem. If it's 10am? Sure. I can do it. If you have a flash, use it. Turn their backs to the sun and fill their faces in with a flash--on camera or off. Reflectors work too. Portraits need soft pleasing light 90% of the time for the subject(s) to look their best. The light here is very harsh and causes uncomfortable looking subjects. If you have absolutely no equipment to light them with, my best advice (other than to get the equipment) would be to turn their backs to the sun and try to place them in front of a background that is dark enough that it won't blow out and lose detail by exposing for their faces. Their hair will be to bright but their faces will look fine.

Living in Vegas has taught me to take portraits at any time of the day. If it's noon, no problem. If it's 10am? Sure. I can do it. If you have a flash, use it. Turn their backs to the sun and fill their faces in with a flash--on camera or off. Reflectors work too. Portraits need soft pleasing light 90% of the time for the subject(s) to look their best. The light here is very harsh and causes uncomfortable looking subjects. If you have absolutely no equipment to light them with, my best advice (other than to get the equipment) would be to turn their backs to the sun and try to place them in front of a background that is dark enough that it won't blow out and lose detail by exposing for their faces. Their hair will be to bright but their faces will look fine.
I agree if you have no control over the time you shoot you need to control the light. The images you have here are way too washed out.

Most reactions

Back