Family Portraits- tougher than I thought.

This one is the best I could get from the second location. I think maybe the subjects should have been further from the tree with a narrower DOF. Too much focus on the tree?
I don't think the trees are all that distracting (although I might get rid of the white flowers). It does hurt that some of it does appear to be sharper than the boys in the front...this might be the back focus issue we talked about before. You can get around this by using a smaller aperture and thus a deeper DOF and you can also be sure to focus on the closest subject in a group.

The one thing that stands out to me in this shot, is the big gap between the standing people in the back. It really breaks up the continuity of the composition. It's OK to have gaps between people in a photo, especially an outdoor shot like this...but if you are going to do it, do it with everyone. If you are going to have everyone else close together, then the people in the back should be close together as well.

Not a big deal, as it's easy to fix, but watch your sides. In this one, the whole group is closer to the left side than to the right. Try to even out the space on either side of a group shot.

Jerry, yes, I was taking the "shotgun" approach. That was what I was referencing when I titled this thread. I was shocked at how much there is to do aside from pressing the shutter release! First, I had to load up the truck with chairs, possible props, ladder, drinks to keep the old people fresh....on and on. Then, I had to unload all that stuff. Pick a spot. Get everybody there at the right time for the natural light. And, changing locations with three cars going through a busy college campus.....By the time I actually had people in front of the lens, I was exhausted. :)

On top of all that, as Mike stated, I was too far from everyone and was shouting instruction across the park practically.

It was poorly planned and executed. Next time, I'll have the spot picked before we start, and I won't change locations. I'll also have jobs delegated so that MY JOB is taking pictures.

I do think that a smaller aperture would have solved most of my focus issues. I'll be in manual mode next time and get a better handle on that.

That last shot was cropped witht he group off center. I can recrop.

Again, all comments are much appreciated. I'm better already! :)

the good feedback by learned members....from my side since elders are added, i liked all the shots and compositions. thanks for sharing.

Hey, I just wanted to say that yes, portraits are not that easy! The more people you add, the harder it is to get them all how you want them. That being said, I think you did a pretty darn good job :)

I agree with all that is said above. You may also want to watch your cropping. On the third one, you could have easily have moved the subjects up in the frame and included their whole bodies instead of cropping below the knees.

In the last one, the DOF doesn't bother me, but the fuzziness on the little boys does. Keep learning, you are doing great.

Oh, and as mentioned, I think shooting family is the hardest! It's either that they don't take you seriously or in the case of a niece or nephew, their parents are trying to rush everything to not bug you, or they feel too comfortable and won't let you do your job.

If they are paying me, they tend to listen more and I don't mind ordering people around as much as someone like my father-in-law. LOL

Thanks Lyncca, that's encouraging words! :)

Thanks G-shroti!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back