Family shot - what should I print it on?

My take (similar to another one or two):
3kids_zpsqqljefkn.jpg

Well I've been working a bit on this.

For Aluminize prints, the maximum aspect ratio of "rectangles" is 1.5. I do not like the way the image looks at that aspect ratio. But here is a tight-ish crop that I could do on paper or canvas (aspect ratio is 1.77)

Kids over couch 177 by John Bixler, on Flickr

However Aluminize prints have a "panorama" option, with an aspect ratio of 3. This is a composition I was working on that would do that. I really like strong horizontal elements so I'm leaning towards this....

kids over couch v2 panorama 3 by John Bixler, on Flickr

Curious which cropping you prefer?

Looks nice!

Thoughts on either cropping?

I like the panoramic crop and think it will look good printed like that. Especially if you're going to hang it over a couch or something like that.

I like the hand. It's real, it brings a character to the image.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

That little boy looks like a handful[emoji56]

I find the critical feedback to be very useful, so don't feel like you have to hold back.
I'd crop it to exclude the fence post etc.

I think her hand adds interest, fwiw, and I like it! The crop ration is sweet, too. I don't like the post on the left, but it doesn't seem to bother you, so that's really all that matters.
In the future, and talking specifically about printing/presenting, I would suggest that you find a purpose and fill it. So instead of shooting, then finding a cool photo in the set, then deciding to hang it billboard-style above the mantle... Start with the idea that you want a family photo above the mantle, and shoot shoot shoot until you get the one you're proud of. Make sense?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back