Family

Christie Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.christiephoto.com
I did this gal's senior portrait years ago. She called wanting a maternity photo, and we settled on this. Comments/critique invited.

Pete

family.jpg

I love the interaction here! Did you pose them this way or just catch it as a moment?

I think it works well! Only thing I can see is that Dad's face could use a bit more light (but it could be my monitor as well!) I just love how Mom is stroking her daughter's hair, it makes it a very intimate portrait.

It is, of course, very good. I especially like the light fall off on the background. Was this in your studio or at their house?

It is maybe a tad dark, Mom's face is OK but all that dark hair makes for a lot of dark tones and it looks like the white clothes could use a little bump in brightness. At least that's what I think when I look at it...I would probably go too far and over do it. This probably looks great as a large print.

As for the pose, it is very intimate but I feel like I want to see their eyes. It's good in that it has the feel that this is a 'snapshot of their lives'. (not snapshot in the derogatory way). However, with the lit background and soft studio lighting...it seems odd that they are not looking or posing for the camera.

I'm not sure I'm articulating my point very well. It's a very nice family shot but it just seems like it's missing something that will really hold the viewer's eye. I'm sure they are happy with it...which is what really counts.

Thanks, Mike. I shot this in the studio.

I get your point about the posing. I feel that same way when I see individual portaits with the subject looking off camera.

I too feel "something is missing." I'm wondering if something more in the background might have helped.

Thanks! This is helpful.

Pete

Christie Photo said:
I too feel "something is missing." I'm wondering if something more in the background might have helped.

Yes, I think that would help...something to give the shot a setting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back