Famous Photographers

James Nachtwey. His pictures speak to me, especially the torns of war and the starvation of children! Not even those commercials could speak the words that one of his photographs does! Here I am hoping something goods for dinner, when the kid in the picture didn't get dinner! Wow.

Hey I was sitting at work today and was listening to my co-workers going on and on about their favorite football player/basketball player/baseball player and I was just thinking since I'm such a dork and don't really watch much of eaither to have favorite players I started thinking about my love for photography and was wondering what is some of your guys favorite photographers

Lebron James.

Hey I was sitting at work today and was listening to my co-workers going on and on about their favorite football player/basketball player/baseball player and I was just thinking since I'm such a dork and don't really watch much of eaither to have favorite players I started thinking about my love for photography and was wondering what is some of your guys favorite photographers

Lebron James.

I laughed my ass off.

Also, how can nobody here have mentioned Weegee?

I love Weegee!

wow awesome thanks guys I have lots of names to look up now

I don't really know of that many "famous" photographers, i was mostly inspired by blogs and such, and seeing photographs in magazines and books and thought "hey, i think i could do that".

The only famous one i would say would be Kevin Carter

The only famous one i would say would be Kevin Carter

Now he was a character. Have just read 'The Bang Bang Club' by a couple of his colleagues - very well recommended book. Very unstable and into his drugs - though he was hardly alone in that by the sound of it. That Pulitzer shot is really something.

On another note, I think this thread is a good idea. How can people who've never really looked at HCB or Capa or Adams or Frank etc etc really know what photography can do, or what compositional options are available? Not saying you have to copy people - but get a grounding or widen your horizons.

Amazing how many people will spend big money on gear, thinking it will make them better, when they barely really look at some of the greatest photographers' work.

Ross Halfin for me. He's famous for being one of the giants of rock concert photography which is how I discovered him, but it's his travel work and street candids that really appeal to me.

van_halen-bw48

led-zeppelin-colour487

http://www.rosshalfin.com/travel/travel-colour2740.jpg

travel-bw95

minnie-driver-picture-2.jpg

If Minnie Driver married Eddie Van Halen she would be Minnie Van....Halen...

:lol:

Lebron James.

I laughed my ass off.

Also, how can nobody here have mentioned Weegee?

I love Weegee!

Forum member RowmyF is a distant relative of WeeGee.

On another note, I think this thread is a good idea. How can people who've never really looked at HCB or Capa or Adams or Frank etc etc really know what photography can do, or what compositional options are available? Not saying you have to copy people - but get a grounding or widen your horizons.

Amazing how many people will spend big money on gear, thinking it will make them better, when they barely really look at some of the greatest photographers' work.

After reading your high faluting opinion, I had to check out your photo page. I just say you have some good stuff !! Cocky though you may be, you do have talent.

After reading your high faluting opinion, I had to check out your photo page. I just say you have some good stuff !! Cocky though you may be, you do have talent.

I agree in principle but too few other photographers get noticed. And a lot of people just copy the styles of other photographers, rather than get inspired by the content. My opinion is that you reach a point where you should completely ignore what others do and have done.

For those who would like to have a peek at a bunch of GREAT photographers and mini-portfolios all in one place, this link is a good one. It can point you in the direction of many photographers, and if you find one whose work you like, well, then a Google search will put you into the books,shows,catalogues,and exhibits they have done.

Photography-now.net - The International Photography Index.

I'm new to photography, not sure who anyone you guys are speaking of is. I bought my camera to capture images of my son, famiy and friends. I've never looked at an exposure and had it really effect me emotionally. (besides photo's of my son that create uncontrolable smiles and laughter inside)

Today was the first time I saw Kevin Carter"s pulitzer photo. Never felt emotions from a photograph like that before. My heart sank.

I now have a new outlook on photography and also have much reading to do.

But first and foremost I can't wait to get off work and hug my son and wife.

Most reactions

Back