Famous Photographers

Yes, you are in a sour mood. And maybe you need to learn some english. The modern YOU can be understood as two things. A very personal one or the very general one. I get tired of typing "one" instead of "you" but my post wasn't about you. It was about the "you-one" person. Get over it.

Next, I haven't seen your photos but this "here I was considering upgrading my d90 for a d700 so I can have more latitude for clean pictures in low light and get more DOF abilities" says you are not the kind of person I was talking about so why are taking it son personally?

The kind of person I was talking about would never even know how to say that. This is not about you. Get over yourself, buddy.

And enjoy whichever camera you get next. Over and out.

Maybe you should understand english. I know you aren't talking about me PERSONALLY. It doesn't matter whom is the object of your judgement. I was commenting on the general snobbish judgement itself.
Have a nice day.

fwellers I think you need to just relax and go cool off. He wasn't trying to be snobbish and if you took it that way get over it. I think what he was saying is that people in general don't need really expensive stuff to shoot good photo's and that somebody that has a really good artistic eye can take a good photo with a point and shoot camera. The thing a SLR does is help them to expand on their potential to being a really great photographer and that the gear doesn't make the photographer the photographer makes the gear. It seems to me that he is also saying that it doesn't hurt to study some of the famous photographers to learn from them and that sometimes its smart to take some classes to expand on your photography potential.

You also can't take every single thing said on these threads to heart or you will have everybody thinking you are an anoying opinionated little kid

man you all are turning into negative nacy's ****....

I think that most "great photographers" don't pay much attention to one another. They go their own way...

Last edited:

I don't look at them, I don't care about them, I don't think much of them.

That's fine but this thread is supposed to be about photographers we admire, not whether or not you approve of someone's favorites.

I think that most "great photographers" don't pay much attention to one another. They go their own way...

This I can mostly agree with. They either do that or they look at what others do as an example of what they don't want to do.

I don't look at them, I don't care about them, I don't think much of them.

That's fine but this thread is supposed to be about photographers we admire, not whether or not you approve of someone's favorites.

This I can mostly agree with. They either do that or they look at what others do as an example of what they don't want to do.

Salgado is good. He's almost too good.

For the most part, people should not look at other photographers' work. Speaking for myself, I learned from watching old B&W movies from the 30s, not from looking at any still photographers' work. Tight compositions, dramatic angles, these were from the European cinematographers and lighting people who came from Europe in the 20s and early 30s.

Anyone who studies my photos will note how these characteristics have influenced my approach.

Hitchcock's B&W films are a good place to start. Rebecca is excellent.

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=Rebecca+Hitchcock&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

rebecca-4-copy.jpg

Last edited:
That interesting about being influenced by films and I think that's where the majority of my influence must come from. I've watched a lot more films with interesting cinematography than I have looked at art, be it photos or paintings. I'm pretty sure it was my film fandom that inspired this shot:

img0246fc.jpg

That interesting about being influenced by films and I think that's where the majority of my influence must come from. I've watched a lot more films with interesting cinematography than I have looked at art, be it photos or paintings. I'm pretty sure it was my film fandom that inspired this shot:

Maybe, not sure.

I can say this, that most so-called 'salon' photography bores me to tears. Give me a Hitchcock film any day. Rebecca. Every frame is better than any "he who shall not be named" photo.

Hitchcock's 1940s films:

Rebecca (1940)
Starring: Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine
Adaptation of Daphne Du Maurier's famous novel of a couple tormented by the presence of the husband's dead wife.
Foreign Correspondent (1940)
Starring: Joel McCrea and Laraine Day
An unsuspecting crime reporter gets swept up in an international espionage conspiracy in this fast-paced adventure.
Mr. & Mrs. Smith (1941)
Starring: Carole Lombard and Robert Montgomery
Hilarious screwball comedy about the merry mishaps that befall a couple after they discover they weren't legally married.
Suspicion (1941)
Starring: Cary Grant and Joan Fontaine
Subtle suspense and fine-drawn tension in this mystery of a wealthy woman who suspects her playboy husband wants to murder her.
Saboteur (1942)
Starring: Priscilla Lane and Robert Cummings
False accusations of murder and sabotage leads to some surprising consequences in this chilling film.
Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
Starring: Joseph Cotten and Teresa Wright
Woman suspects her loving uncle of murder. Hitchcock's own personal favorite.
Bon Voyage & Aventure Malgache (1944)
Starring: John Blythe
Directed by Hitchcock for the war effort in Britain during WWII, this pair of short films details a British pilot behind enemy lines.
Lifeboat (1944)
Starring: Tallulah Bankhead and William Bendix
Psychological thriller about survivors trapped on a lifeboat with limited supplies. Features nail biting suspense and fine performances.
Spellbound (1945)
Starring: Ingrid Bergman and Gregory Peck
An amnesiac impersonating a famous psychologist. The doctor who wants to save him-- even if he is guilty of murder.
Notorious (1946)
Starring: Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman
A classic tale of love and betrayal-- an FBI agent must send the woman he
loves to seduce a Nazi conspirator.
The Paradine Case (1947)
Starring: Gregory Peck and Alida Valli
Courtroom melodrama about a lawyer who falls for his client.
Rope (1948)
Starring: James Stewart and Farley Granger
Compelling tale of murder between friends, famed for its basis on Leopold & Loeb case and experimental cinematography.
Under Capricorn (1949)
Starring: Ingrid Bergman and Joseph Cotten
Period drama details saga of an English lady who falls in love with her cousin.
Stage Fright (1950)
Starring: Jane Wyman and Marlene Dietrich
A young man whom a drama student admired accused of murder must battle to prove his own innocence.
Strangers on a Train (1951)

Last edited:
Last Year at Marienbad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last Year at Marienbard was visually amazing from what I watched of it. Watched it with some album playing along with it.

I really like Annie Leibowitz's work. I read her latest book and though a lot of her portraiture is down for commercial work, it's really good.

Platon is another photographer who's work I really like. platon

I'm also finding inspiration in movies but if you think about it, it makes perfect sense. What is a movie (or a motion picture)? Nothing more than a series of stills moving at a certain speed to create the illusion of motion.

I'm also finding inspiration in movies but if you think about it, it makes perfect sense. What is a movie (or a motion picture)? Nothing more than a series of stills moving at a certain speed to create the illusion of motion.
Agreed, which is why I find this comment pretty funny:

For the most part, people should not look at other photographers' work. Speaking for myself, I learned from watching old B&W movies from the 30s, not from looking at any still photographers' work.

Most reactions

Back