Fantasy

Big Mike said:
elrick said:
Big Mike:

Did you read Nik Perumov books?[/color]

Never heard of them.
He started to write about what happen after LOTTR, and from this he invented a new world, and now wrote big series about this world...it based on LOTTR and Scandinavian mythology

elrick said:
Big Mike said:
elrick said:
Big Mike:

Never heard of them.
He started to write about what happen after LOTTR, and from this he invented a new world, and now wrote big series about this world...it based on LOTTR and Scandinavian mythology

Sounds interesting, I'll have to look into that.

I think my next new fantasy book will be the Chronicles or Narnia.

Big Mike said:
elrick said:
Big Mike said:
elrick said:
Big Mike:

Never heard of them.

Sounds interesting, I'll have to look into that.

I think my next new fantasy book will be the Chronicles or Narnia.
but...he writes in Russian...yet some of his works may be already translated into English
and Narnia I didnt' read yet

Fantasy? as in not sci-fi or horror? hmmmmm... the Martin stuff is pretty cool. The first chunk of the dragonlance series was awesome (kender's rock and so do tinker gnomes!!). LOTR is always a classic. Dennis L. McKiernan's Iron tower triology is awesome especially if you like LOTR. David Eddings had some awesome stuff early on with the Belregaird series and I like Terry Brooks stuff too.

But I'm much more into H.P.Lovecraft, Philip K. Dick, William Gibson, and Poe.

mygrain said:
Fantasy? as in not sci-fi or horror? hmmmmm... the Martin stuff is pretty cool. The first chunk of the dragonlance series was awesome (kender's rock and so do tinker gnomes!!). LOTR is always a classic. Dennis L. McKiernan's Iron tower triology is awesome especially if you like LOTR. David Eddings had some awesome stuff early on with the Belregaird series and I like Terry Brooks stuff too.

Edgar Poe?

elrick said:
mygrain said:

Edgar Poe?

Yep, not the musician...but she is ever so kewl though!!! Her bro has a freaky book out too called the House of leaves.

mygrain said:
The first chunk of the dragonlance series was awesome (kender's rock and so do tinker gnomes!!).

"Hullo, my name is Tasslehoff Burfoot." I also like Dragonlance...although, with so many authors...some of it is just garbage.

It took some prodding from my girlfriend, but I eventually read the Harry Potter books. I can say that they are very good books. The first one or two are on a level for younger children but still engaging. The third, forth and fifth are very, very good. They create a world and draw the reader into it, which is really the mark of good fantasy writing. I can't wait for the final two book in the series.

I encourage anyone, not just fantasy fans, to read the Harry Potter books.

Big Mike said:
mygrain said:
The first chunk of the dragonlance series was awesome (kender's rock and so do tinker gnomes!!).

"Hullo, my name is Tasslehoff Burfoot." I also like Dragonlance...although, with so many authors...some of it is just garbage.

It took some prodding from my girlfriend, but I eventually read the Harry Potter books. I can say that they are very good books. The first one or two are on a level for younger children but still engaging. The third, forth and fifth are very, very good. They create a world and draw the reader into it, which is really the mark of good fantasy writing. I can't wait for the final two book in the series.

I encourage anyone, not just fantasy fans, to read the Harry Potter books.

"Damn the eyes of the Elves! Damn the beards of the dwarves!" -Tasslehoff Burrfoot

Indeed Big M, the Weis and Hickman early stuff was the best and it completely changed a lot of aspects of fantasy roleplaying games at the time. It also created the forgotten realms setting and introduced the Dark Elf Trilogy- which by the way kicks much booty. But with all that success, a ton of poo came spilling out. There are a bunch of bad Krynn related books out there- I stopped reading them a long time ago.

I've only read the first three Harry Potter books and I like them a lot. They are well written, likeable characters, and very cinemaesque(sp?). A bit juvenil for me but they are aimed at a younger audience. The books do seem to mature with Harry though.

hey what do you guys consider Piers Anthony's "Incarnations of Immortality" to be? They are not sci-fi or horror, but do not take place in the ye olde hack and slash days. Foe those whoaren't sure they are about people taken over the jobs of Death, Mother Nature, Father Time, etc... very cool if ya hadn't read them.

I like Piers Anthony.

I read "On a pale horse", a long time ago. I remember wanting to read more in the series but never did.

I read most of his Bio of a Space Tyrant series as well, but I could never find the 4th book when I wanted to.

I have Battle Circle and I think it's pretty good, kind of falls off in the 2nd & 3rd part but still a good read.

I've been enjoying the Harry Potter books too. I read them after I see the movie, that way I don't feel jipped about what wasn't in it, like I know some people have. :p So they need to hurry and get the 4th movie out, so I can keep reading...

Oriecat,
That's an interesting approach. Usually people like to read the book first to see how well it was adapted.

How did you like the third movie? New director, new feel. Also the third book is a little darker than the first two as well.

The reason I ask is because I loved the third movie, while my girlfriend (huge H.P. fan) did not like it at all.

I dunno...I guess I've always been one of those people that can't stand the things that everyone else in the world loves! Harry Potter is one of those things.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back