Farewell to Baxter | Memories & Better Days

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just learned that our dog and my brother-in-fur will be put to sleep this Sunday. He's gotten too old and is in great pain just trying to walk or use the bathroom. We've had Baxter since I was in...4th grade? Now I'm 23. It's crazy how time flies.

Anyways, I just wanted to post two photos of him. One of them is from my 52 Weeks project. Both are from before his health began to decline. He's lived a remarkably long life for his size. He's more than 90% wolf, with a small bit of husky, so he's very large. Back in the day if he stood, he'd be almost eye level with you.

I'm driving the 6 hours North to see him tomorrow and Sunday before he goes. I'm considering trying to take a couple more photos of him while we spend a last day together. Maybe a video. I was curious if any of you had any advice on that? Or would you advise against bringing the camera out?

Anyways, here he is from better times, my brother:

Baxter
by TogaLive, on Flickr

52 Weeks: Baxter (Week 6 of 52)
by TogaLive, on Flickr

Yup, that sucks man. Says much when you call him your brother. Cherish the times!

I'm so sorry. He is gorgeous. I would take pictures of him. I have several of the dog I lost to parvo. They are tucked away but there if I want to look.

I'm glad you get to spend some time with him to say good bye.

It's really tough. Our dog is getting up there also. He's like an old man that just can't get around like he used to. So far he still seems to enjoy life but I'm not looking forward to the day of having to make the choice you now had to make. He's a beautiful dog

Sorry about Baxter :( He's beautiful!

Have you thought of doing a project of photographing his last day? I remember seeing this a few months back: Texas photographer captures faithful dog s last day - San Antonio Express-News I thought it was well done and a sweet way to keep happy memories of such a hard day. Damnit, it's getting me all weepy just thinking about it :(

And there's a woman who makes a business of doing portraits of pets in their last days. I'm trying to find her name/website. I was just looking at it a couple of weeks ago...

Edit: Just found it. She does pet portraits of all kinds, including what she calls "Joy Sessions" with terminally ill pets. joy sessions Minneapolis Saint Paul Minnesota Dog Pet Photographer Studio Pet Photography Commercial Joy Sessions

Last edited:
Awww - he's beautiful. Sadness, but he will hurt no more.

our old labs time will be up soon but I am sure like your pooch he had a great life, our lab always meets us at the gate wagging his tail, animals need good owners and then its all good, not sure about the photos, perhaps cherish what you have, it could be a bit tough otherwise...

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the advice. It really meant a lot. I ended up shooting part of both days. I think all but a few of the images will just be kept in the family, they're too personal. It was an incredibly sad day, but he is in a better place.

I think I might contact some local pet shelters, see if I can volunteer as a photographer. Or maybe do some of those "Joy Sessions" shoots for folks and their soon-to-leave pets.

Again, thanks folks :)

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the advice. It really meant a lot. I ended up shooting part of both days. I think all but a few of the images will just be kept in the family, they're too personal. It was an incredibly sad day, but he is in a better place.

I think I might contact some local pet shelters, see if I can volunteer as a photographer. Or maybe do some of those "Joy Sessions" shoots for folks and their soon-to-leave pets.

Again, thanks folks :)
I think I know just how you feel. I had a beagle, Max, and when we lost him we were heartbroken and swore never to have to go through that loss again. But three days later we were back to the same breeder and took home Toby, another wonderful beagle and friend. After Toby had to be euthanized, ( both lived over fifteen years) I started supporting The Little Shelter, a wonderful and old no-kill shelter on Long Island, NY. Every time I do something for them, I think of my dogs. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back