Farmer Tilling' - How would you edit?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The other day I was trying to focus on taking photos of birds but the farmer next door decided to do some tilling so I quickly took this shot. Its not my best work, its actually quite uninteresting but I'd like to see how you'd edit this photo to make it more interesting as I was struggling trying to figure out how to process it. I tried black and white which I didn't mind but because the tractor is green I thought it blended too much with the surrounding environment.

Erwin-170424-8946.jpg

No need for a critique, just playing around. Edit as you wish.

RAW file >>> Erwin-170424-8946.NEF

IMO looks pretty good as is. Only thought I might have would be to go to a 16:9 crop taking some off the top.

Crop, sharpen, desaturate the greens a touch (they look a bit too vibrant for me). I'd probably burn the background and the dark soil and add a subtle vingette (I'm quite into them at the moment).

This is my take. Just a quick edit on my tablet. Was just having fun. I'm just an amateur.
Image1494080949.436604.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the green tractor is perfect between the two rows of green grass. B&W loses everything that makes this shot visually stimulating, which to me, is the green. a 16x9 crop trimmed up a bit gives things a little intimacy while still giving a sense of the work being done.
just me tho. YMMV
I dont do much in wide formats, but it does seem to work here. an 8x10 crop yields similar results, but you lose some road and gain some tree, which i thought hurt the photo a bit. I liked keeping all of the houses in the background, as well as some dirt behind the tractor.

Erwin-170424-8946.jpg

I didn't really notice it till I started looking at the edits, what are the black/dark streaks & spots in the image (over the house, and in the foreground in front of the tractor). Is this from editing? Clean up those and the B&W approach by Traveler might be a good way to go

I didn't really notice it till I started looking at the edits, what are the black/dark streaks & spots in the image (over the house, and in the foreground in front of the tractor). Is this from editing? Clean up those and the B&W approach by Traveler might be a good way to go

I think the ones in front of the tractor are tracks from another machines tires. kinda hard to tell, they look odd magnified in LR.

I noticed the streaks too. [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a personal opinion, but I like the direction Traveler took with the B&W. Expanding on the idea with a 16:9 crop eliminated the dark blobs at the top, and as Pixmedic noted does add a sense of intimacy. An adjustment brush to the dark lines at the bottom, took most of the distraction away, but still need a little more work.

upload_2017-5-6_9-58-59.jpg

Looks to me to be out of focus plants in the foregound that have been shot through.

Yep, its vegetation. Not a whole lot I can do about them.

Its quite interesting to see how other people would process it.

Well this is what I ended up settling on. I like it.

Erwin-170424-8946.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back