Farmers Daughter at Sunset (C+C)

RONDAL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm going to state this at the outset;
Tonite was my first ever attempt at shooting another person. Since I got into photography back in Oct '08 i've been sticking strictly to inanimate objects like cars, architecture, and junk i find in my apartment.

After watching the Zack Arias OneLight DVD this morning I decided I needed to branch out and start doing something with people.

I told the gf to get dressed up (she didn't complain) and told her i would try not to butcher her. Headed out 15 minutes west of downtown to get away from the buildings just before sunset.

Took with me my D90, 50mm f1.8, single manfrotto lightstand, 52" umbrella, and a SB-600.

Not only did i have zero experiance behind the camera, my gf had zero in front of the camera. So I spent a little time trying to get her to relax and stop trying to pose as they looked too forced. Eventually we got into a rhythm right as the light started to hit its money spot.

These are the results below. All shots are basically straight out of the camera like that. Some have some minor CameraRAW tweaks to lighten a shadow. But it is literally a 10 second touch up.

I'm not one to plug things, but seriously if you want to learn to light grab Zack's DVD. It's WELL worth it. Takes something that most have a coniption even thinking about, and makes it braindead easy. (Zack Arias - Atlanta based editorial music photographer)

Critique the photos, but please keep any comments about the model clean and tasteful.

3745457678_2364b0154b_b.jpg

3745456864_0fbd8d90e7_b.jpg

3744657963_3fdf0fd858_b.jpg

3744655997_7faaa0c3d7_b.jpg

3744655255_25b5c209d8_b.jpg

3745450946_51fdbca6c4_b.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:
Looking at this from a Commercial POV
I would have took the image into photoshop and cloned out all the bumps and lumps on the models top (the buttons from the jeans show through and... lets just say i guess she didn't wear a bra :) - and her stomach shows in some
but the lighting is pretty spot on, which was the purpose of this shoot therefore it is Perfect
#2 is by far the best overall in my opinion (the pose, the light, the scene etc..)

Is your girlfriend a lot taller than you? It seems that in every shot you are shooting up at her. It's usually more flattering to the subject if you are slightly higher than they are.

I would also suggest warming up the WB/color temp. We can see that the time of day is around sunset but your light doesn't match that.

For your first time shooting a person, you've done really well. Learning to use off camera lighting is a big step, some never get there, so you are off to a great start.

THanks for the comments.

@ Big Mike
no she isn't taller than me haha. she's like 5'1 and im 5'11. I did a few shooting slightly down but it made her look REALLY short. It also didn't capture any of the background and made it all look black (couldn't see horizon).

@UUilliam
clothes are definetly something i need to keep in mind for next time. when she was choosing stuff from her closet i just said something bright. i wanted a nice bright color to contrast the background. i didn't want to be dealing with black. she was wearing a bra, but it was slightly cold (and soooo many mosquitos).

Definetly surprised myself at the quality of what came out of the camera. I love LIGHT!

i wanted a nice bright color to contrast the background.
For future reference; that is a good choice if you are shooting to show off the clothes. It also fits for the shots where she's looking off-camera (good for showing off the clothes).
But if you are shooting portraits (to show off the model) you want clothes that are closer in tone to the background so that the model (the face in particular) is what contrasts with the background.

A common problem of photographers, utility lines in 3&4. Very nice lighting and composition otherwise (by my untrained eyes).

i hate powerlines, and was concious of them being there and tried work around to not get them, but the sun was setting directly in their direction so for some shots they were unavoidable.

Had i spent any time in post with these shots that would be the first fix.

(the buttons from the jeans show through and... lets just say i guess she didn't wear a bra :) - and her stomach shows in some

That caught my eye also.... But the woman is wearing a bra. She just has large nipples and no padding in her bra.. It's all her.

I love the facial shot of number 5. The angle of her cheek bone. It's beautiful.

I think these pisture are nice. for a first time I think you controlled lighting very well. no odd shading, no over blown areas. but I think that with such a model you can acheive more intriguing... While being technically good (maybe beter than my own capability) i think they are a litle bit cold in composition... maybe a little sober for my taste... take it a bit bolder... suprise us a little more...

Call me a sicko, but frankly I think some bumps are good.

Call me a sicko, but frankly I think some bumps are good.

Yes they are... :lol:

...Now I know where all the "farmer's dauhter" jokes come from...

:thumbup:

Most reactions

Back