Fashion Runway Help

TBaraki

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.talkbass.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I've found out I'll be shooting a runway fashion show in about 5 weeks. I feel like a canary in a coal mine on this one. I really don't know what to be expecting for this shoot. I do know the clothing will be pastel colours, which I interpret as a good thing from a photography POV (no whites or blacks).

For those of you who have experience in this type of photography, what advice can you give me? Shooting angles, composition, lens suggestions.. anything you have I'll take. :)

Thanks,
Travis

PS: I hope I put this in the right forum.:confused:

I really think it depends on the lighting (was that not the most insightful comment of the day?) What I mean by that is - are the lights going to be dimming, flashing etc. etc. or, are the lights the same throughout? If they are, I would rent a hand held meter, have someone 'model' for you, and take a few test shots beforehand. Also, bring a grey card for correct colour reproduction.

I know of one individual who shot runway models for a local model agency - and I just went to look at his images' EXIF data, and it appears that he was using a 50mm at 1.8. Apparently it was extremely dark - so I would defintely be bringing a fast lens in case you have a similar situation.

Talk to the head person to see if you can use flash, if so, that could give you a few more options.

Hmm.. looks like I primarily rambled there.

It's not rambling; it's brainstorming. ;)

Yes, the lighting will indeed be critical. At this point I'm not sure how it will be set up. I am going to inquire regarding flash usage and the light set up to get an idea of what I will have available to me and make an appropriate plan of action.

I also hope to find out where I will end up spatially. Depending on the distance I might rent a 2.8 zoom for the evening. If I'm closer I think my 50mm will be a good choice.

Thanks for the reply. :)

I don't watch a lot of 'Fashion Television'...well, not that I'd admit to anyway. It seems to me that there are flashes going off constantly...maybe with the exception of high end productions that are more like a stage play than a runway.

Besides, the models will have to get used to being 'flashed' all the time anyway. I'd definitely ask the organizer about it...but I'm thinking that a powerful flash will be a necessity.

...but I'm thinking that a powerful flash will be a necessity.

To be honest, I really hope that I can use flash. My photographic experience is such that I feel more confident in my abilities to shoot with somewhat controlled light than be at the mercy of the runway lighting crew.

I have done several high ISO tests in the fast few days. My goal was to try and evaluate how well I can deal with the noise and the results were encouraging.

My confidence is slowly growing for this shoot. Once I get a few more details I think I'll really settle down.

Thanks for chiming in. I need anything I can get. :)

Make sure you have lenses to cover the wide and the long (read 70-200 f2.8 or at least the 85/1.8 ) range. If possible make sure you have at least two bodies on you with 2 different lenses. If this is an international event, you will be amidst a ton of photographers - the space to move around could be limited. The runways are usually well lit. Practice both with and without flash. Make sure you have enough CF Cards. Play with different angles - try to include the label name (which would usually be at the back where they enter the runway) and/or the crowd and/or other models in the frame. While shots like these are important, images like this or this will make your work stand out. It will be great addition to your portfolio, should you decide to join names like AFP, Reuters etc.

Best wishes! :thumbsup:

Hope it went well. :thumbup:

Here is an interview with a Getty photographer who covers fashion. Thought it would be helpful for someone.

Most reactions

Back