Fashion Show: Stressed and need your help!

kdabbagh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone...

So, I am really passionate about photography, and I jump at any opportunity in my community to cover events. Most have been successful because they were protests, cultural shows, and sports events - mostly in daytime.

My next challenge is in 11 days, and it's covering a fashion show for a children's charity. From what I know, it's an 80 foot long catwalk, and lights would be provided by DJ and I wouldn't know how it will be except for the night before. However, I was told it would be somewhat dark. I will have unlimited access all over the event hall and can shoot from anywhere I want.

Why am I stressed? MY EQUIPMENT AND LACK OF FUNDS. I am going to be using a D40x with an 18-135mm and an 18-200 VR lens. I don't have an external flash unit nor do I have the money to rent/buy. This is basically what i'll be working with. I want to atleast capture three exposures of ever model that goes down the catwalk, focusing on clothes, face, and accessories if I get a chance.

Please give me any tips or advice and let me know if I can pull this off with the equipment I have. Oh, I'll also be able to use the show director's tripod.

Thanks! Looking forward to your expert take on this..

Wow! Well, with out an external flash my guess is to get as close as you can to the models walking down the cat walk. Best bet is to get them at a slight angle just so you can still see part of there face but not straight on, Red eye will be a major problem with a pop up flash ( photoshop can help of course) but still.

You wouldn't think it would be dark though? The few shows I have shot were well lit. Maybe you can have someone on the other side of the cat walk with a reflector to help.

About all I can think of right now.

You know, I have a back up flash it's a Canon220EX. If you want you can borrow it. I'll mail it to you, and you can mail it back after the show.

Ack! just saw your using a D40 I got it mixed up for a second with canons new 40D LOL.

Well..... if you can borrow a Canon camera I'll still lend you the flash LOL

You know, I have a back up flash it's a Canon220EX. If you want you can borrow it. I'll mail it to you, and you can mail it back after the show.

Ack! just saw your using a D40 I got it mixed up for a second with canons new 40D LOL.

Well..... if you can borrow a Canon camera I'll still lend you the flash LOL

that's very nice of you but unfortunately I don't know where I would get a canon camera from. Much appreciated though :)

Anybody got advice for me?

I am new to DSLR, but see where the lighting is going to be the brightest, let the event organizers know you need each model to stop for a moment at a specific location. Get your camera set up on a tripod, find the best lit spot and have the models pose for each one, should only add a bit of time to the overall show, and if they want the photos they will accommodate you. . Just tell the organizers your needs. Seems to me your only option at this point.

Edit: If you can talk to the DJ where the lighting is going to be, under the spot lights should be good enough to light each model and no need for a flash, what f/stops are your lenses? One more idea, see if he can draw you a diagram where the lights will be and see where you might be best placed to get shots to a number of stage locations, without having to move the tripod for different angles. I hope someone else may have better solutions but it is how I would go about in dealing with it until someone gave me something better to go with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back