Fashion Show tomorrow - what lens to use?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by JDP, Apr 20, 2007.

1. JDP

JDP TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ok, so I have a fashion show to shoot tomorrow - nothing 'real', but it's at a nearby University. Sweet, I think to myself, lemme call and rent that trusty Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8, perfect lens for the job but... damn, it's rented out for the weekend.

So, I'm going to assume all the rest of their zooms are rented out as well (Well, at least the 2.8 ones) so I'm curious as to which lens I should use. My most viable lens I own would be the f/1.8 50mm prime, as well as a couple of kit lenses - the 18-55 3.5/4.5 and the .... can't remember since I never use it.. some crap Nikkor xx - 300mm lens.

Anyway, odds are I'll be able to rent one of the primes they have available, they have most flavors from 10.5mm to 400mm primes, all 2.8.

So what woul dbe a good 'general purpose' lens to throw on my camera for the event - the lighting should be fairly good there, and I can use flash (Though I really try not to). Just need a little direction on this - thanks!

2. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    85mm f1.8 or if you are closer, the 50mm f1.4 (1.8 would be ok too) Depends on how far you are from the stage.

3. JDP

JDP TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I should be able to get right up to the stage if need be, so my 50mm prime should be fine for it? Good, save me a few dollars in rental fees and the hassle of running to pick it up and drop it back off, though I might grab the 85 you suggested, just in case. Thank you!

4. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you are very close you may find the 50mm lens too long!! A Sigma 30mm f1.4 would also be a good choice. If you are using a FF camera, the 50 and 85 would be good. If using a crop sensor camera, maybe 30mm & 50mm, with the 85 for close ups.

Changing lenses quickly can be a pain so maybe rent a second body too :)

5. benjikan

benjikan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you can get your hands on a 18-70 that would cover all bases for you, as you may want to shoot "American Plan" Waist up, full silhouettes and some details. You haven't time to change the lens to do so. The zoom is a necessity for this. I have never shot shows, but I have been invited to attend several here in Paris and all the "Show Photographers" are generally shooting with 2 bodies, one with a 24-70 and the other with a 70-200, depending on the size of the podium.

Ben

6. derekneuts

derekneuts TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've never done any of the fashion or runway work yet myself, but it does sound interesting to try. By reading your posts, I will assume that since we are talking about f1.4 - f2.8 we're being overly prepared and cautious about the ambient lighting levels, just in case? How close do they usually allow photographers to the runway / stage? And I assume flash is frowned upon? Any feedback about this to augment the conversation on lenses and lighting on this subject would be great. Thanks!

7. JDP

JDP TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah I'm being overly cautios I suppose. My girlfriend is the MC, so I get to go in a couple hours early to setup and look around and such. It's not a 'high fashion' type of fashion show, it's a University thing, thinks it's called Fashion without Clothes, something like that - they are using recycled things and what not/ I think I'll be allowed pretty close, and I can use flash, I just don't want to hehe

8. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I didn't mention zooms because you were looking at primes but I agree a fast zoom would give far more flexibility.

9. JDP

JDP TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Yeah, exactly - I tend to rely on a fast zoom when I don't know what I'm up against. Sadly, the place I rent lenses such as those from has them booked this weekend. That's one of the reasons I'm picking up a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 - not to mention it's 1/3rd the price of the Nikkor, creates images just as pin sharp and gorgeous, and I don't have a third thing. It's not as rugged as the Nikkor, but even if I flat out smashed it on the ground I could buy another and still have money left over.

Sigh. I keep waiting for a check to show up in the mail, some stock I was given via ESOP at an old employer. Then the fun begins, that lens, new D200 with the kit 18-200, a vertical grip and a pair of 4gb CF cards. Then I'll be a helluva lot happier!

10. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's pretty much what i was going to say. If you can get your hands on the Nikkor 18-70, 35-70 f/2.8 or 28-70 f/2.8 use those.

11. JDP

JDP TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah those are the lenses I wanted to use, didn't work out that way *sigh*

I used my prime, a 50mm f/1.8 - I got some nice shots, but not as many as I would have liked - I'll have to throw some up tomorrow. Out of 540 shots, I think 10 or so are good enough.

Think the D50 is starting to not like it's heavy usage, looking forward to my upgrade soon hehe.

12. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Why only 10? that is low.....