Fashion

Alex_B

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Fashion is one of the most stupid concepts on this planet.

Don't you think so? Don't get me wrong, I know some of you might earn their money by doing also Fashion photography, and also I like to see people dressed up nicely.

But I wonder why people complain about their freedom being limited in all sorts of respects, but most of them thankfully and totally unreflected follow a few selected people who apparently define what is en vogue.

And to make things even worse, at least 70% of all people on this planet who can afford to think about fashion, follow the fashion trends without even bothering if they suit them, if they make sense with their bodily appearance, if it works with their hair colour or their skin complexion or their personality. Aesthetics don't seem to matter in fashion too much, and if people make a fool out of themselves, that is usually applauded.

Of course now you could say, what about punks (yes, there still are a few out there), what about goths, what about hippies (recently still saw some, OK, grey by now), what about gangstas from the hood or whatever ... but well, these people all might live in a (sub)culture which is off mainstream fashion, but within these cultures it is all the same again as I said. And these days there is even a fashion industry behind every global sub-culture.

If you think about it sort of unbiased, this is all really sick, ain't it?

So what is all this hype about democracy if people actually prefer to be slaves anyway

:grumpy:

[end of rant]

If you want to know about fashion just ask me as I wrote the book ;)

1976.jpg

somehow i did guess that i would attract you three in here :p

:O pure shoock horor ferny is active again...

yes he has been unleashed upon us. just wonder by whom ;)

BTW, lostprophet, is that you on that picture? :)

.. and I wonder if I will ever get a serious reply to my ranting (since serious it was) .. today I am slightly more calm again compared to when I wrote it, but still curious if others have strong opinions about this.

The people who follow trends and spend hundreds on them are stupid. But some people are lucky/unlucky and like a certain look so dress that way. They're not following fashion, they're just dressing in a way which makes them feel comfortable.

Same goes for ghetto style in your example. That's what everyone around there wears, that's what's for sale, it's what they've grown up with and is normal to them. Are they following fashion or are they just dressing in a way which to them is normal?

I agree about "looks". No way does someone from over here need to dress without a belt and their arse hanging out. That stems from when you get banged up in America they take your belt away so your jeans fall down. The more they've slipped the "harder" you're meant to be.

BTW, lostprophet, is that you on that picture? :)

.. and I wonder if I will ever get a serious reply to my ranting.

Tis I for sure

the chances of getting any serious reply from me is about the same as the chances of the weather being good this tuesday

I'm glad I'm so predictable.

I think fashion rocks. The idea that everyone follows fashion is just silly. There are trends in fashion, but it's up to individuals to personalize those trends. That's what separates the sheep from the non-sheep.

I understand what you're getting at, but I think you're looking at it the wrong way. What you should be concerned about is the level of intelligence that it takes for some people to be sheep.

Most people that dress like idiots are just that. People that can afford to dress with expensive clothing didn't get rich without hard work. And if they did get rich without hard work, then it's not the clothes they wear that makes you not like them, it's the fact that they got rich for nothing, and you're just jealous.

Being rich is not something you should envy in other people. If you hate rich people you'll never be one, because then you'll hate yourself?

Stop hating on the rich!!!

What you should be concerned about is the level of intelligence that it takes for some people to be sheep.

That is something i am very concerned about indeed.

And i did not say that I myself totally boycott fashion. But just on some days I dress totally un-fashionable, sometimes on purpose. And you should see how some people react to this.

Stop hating on the rich!!!

:lmao: lol, but sorry, this was not what it was all about! You got something completely new into this thread ;)

Well I mean in general the people who are into "fashion as a statement" i.e. expensive fashion, are the rich and famous right?

The fashion INDUSTRY, as in the designers, the models, the runway shows, they're not created, and attended, by regular middle class people.

They're made for the rich, by the rich to get richer selling an image to the middle/lower class.

I would also just like to add that....

graypost.jpg

Well I mean in general the people who are into "fashion as a statement" i.e. expensive fashion, are the rich and famous right?

no, this is where i would say you are wrong ... i see and know many people who cannot really affort the expesive stuff, but then they go for the affordable stuff which sort of copies the expensive fashion thingies (not talking of chinese copies of watches here!).

The fashion INDUSTRY, as in the designers, the models, the runway shows, they're not created, and attended, by regular middle class people.

but they are watched by all classes on TV ... and a lot what you find in those fashion shows finds its way into ordinary trend/fashion shops and mass production.

I am, by no means saying, that designers only create rubbish which should not be worn. I am just fed up with the dogmas cast on us by fashion and trends.

In Germany parents can get into real financial trouble, since if they do not get the latest , trendiest clothing for their kids, those will very often be outcasts at their school. This whole thing in particular puts pressure on families with lesser incomes.

Maybe I am slightly overreacting since i currently live in a city which
is one of the worst in this respect in Germany ;) And if i remember right we have the highest rate here of plasitc surgery for breasts and lips in all of Germany, only equalled by Munich ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back