Fast food is filth

Meysha said:
I don't think it's the fast food that are making people obese.

It's the lifestyle that we are all living now that is causing obesity.

If you ate apples all day, you would get overweight, just the same as if you ate cheeseburgers all day.
It's a simple maths equation. Calories in must equal calories used or you'll put on weight. Choosing which calories you eat, helps you fulfill the rest of your daily requirements, like getting enough calcium and vitamins etc.

So I don't think we can really blame it on fast food.

Just wanted to point out, that this isn't true. Apples are a negative calorie food, meaning you burn more calories digesting the apple, than the apple actually contains. Many fruits and vegatables are this way.

It's not just "fast food"...it's all of the convenience food these days...so many of the things you find in the grocery store are processed foods...most of which is processed carbs...which is basically sugar once it's in the body.

you like fig newtons?

they contain more bug parts per square centimeter than any other food.

yummy!

Watch the movie "Supersize Me" sometime.

And while in an overall sense calories in/out determines weight loss/gain, all calories are not dealt with by the body in the same manner.

For example, calories from fructose (think high fructose corn syrup) can only be processed one way biochemically by the body. Your body actually has to make fat out of fructose, then access fat to get the energy out of it.

Your body is designed to handle calories from a variety of sources. Forcing it to gain energy from a single source (say a high fat diet) can have negative consequences.

It's pretty simple. All things are good in moderation, if you are looking into a diet that takes you to an extreme, it's not good for you. Portion control is key as well. Us Americans have an exaggerated sense of portions--you know, get your money's worth.

I could go on about this stuff for hours. But I won't bore you.... ;)

mountainlander said:
Watch the movie "Supersize Me" sometime.

And while in an overall sense calories in/out determines weight loss/gain, all calories are not dealt with by the body in the same manner.

For example, calories from fructose (think high fructose corn syrup) can only be processed one way biochemically by the body. Your body actually has to make fat out of fructose, then access fat to get the energy out of it.

Your body is designed to handle calories from a variety of sources. Forcing it to gain energy from a single source (say a high fat diet) can have negative consequences.

It's pretty simple. All things are good in moderation, if you are looking into a diet that takes you to an extreme, it's not good for you. Portion control is key as well. Us Americans have an exaggerated sense of portions--you know, get your money's worth.

I could go on about this stuff for hours. But I won't bore you.... ;)

This man speaks the truth.

Most obese people are sodaholics. Since the 80's soda is made with high fructose corn syrup which IS worse for you than sugar. Thank you politics for the sugar tariff!

Xmetal said:
This doesn't apply to me yet...Metabolism is too fast. :D
But you're starting the 'lifestyle' habit though. Your metabolism slows down when you get older but your habits don't. If you develop good eating habits while you're younger, you don't have problems later on adjusting your 'quanities' as your metab slows down.

It's all one giant evil cycle that none can escape.........

Suddenly I feel the need for some vegetables!

I agree with much of what has been said. As for education... I think most people know what is good for them and what isn't. Portion control and poor dietary choices make up for a lot of the obesity issue. I also find it interesting that it's cheaper to buy a hamburger and french fries than a salad at work. I consider myself lucky that I really enjoy veggies & fruit and I don't want a lot of fried things. A long time ago I read a suggestion that when eating out you should ask for a to go box right away. Put half your meal in it and save it for later. All to often I find myself eating more than I needed just because it was there.

A long time ago I read a suggestion that when eating out you should ask for a to go box right away. Put half your meal in it and save it for later. All to often I find myself eating more than I needed just because it was there.

That's not an issue if people make going out to eat a treat and not go out so often.

This means you can spend more whne you do go out therefore nier food (if you know where to go that doesn't just overcharge) and you will generally havea healthier diet becasue restaurant food should not be your staple diet or even 20% really. It should be a treat, it will be enjoyed more and is better in general. Amaerica among other countries eat out very often some people 5 meals a week (be it breakfast lunch or tea)

Daniel said:
That's not an issue if people make going out to eat a treat and not go out so often.

This means you can spend more whne you do go out therefore nier food (if you know where to go that doesn't just overcharge) and you will generally havea healthier diet becasue restaurant food should not be your staple diet or even 20% really. It should be a treat, it will be enjoyed more and is better in general. Amaerica among other countries eat out very often some people 5 meals a week (be it breakfast lunch or tea)

Agreed, people are going out way to often, sure it may not be the high calorie, high sugar meals all the time, but what has been said about portions is true also, resturants tend to over fill the plates and then we do over eat, this once again getting to many calories and what not... Good thing i like good home made food better than resturaunts.

I remember the first time I saw that McD's had Interac at the drive through...must have been more than 10 years ago...I though to myself that this was the beginning of something bad.

Now there is a fast food place on every corner of every town & city in North America & a lot of places around the world....and most places you don't have to have cash on you...just a bank card. Once upon a time, you had to wait for the bank to be open...to withdraw some cash...to buy food. Now the drive through is open till 3:00 am.

It's simply too easy to get this crappy food.

I have never been a fast food fan. I always felt bed after eating the greasy food. I rarely even go to sit down restaurants nowadays. After looking at some of the nutrition facts in there food, I find it hard to. O'Charley's Club has 1194 calories and 90 grams of fat! I could not eat that if I wanted to.

I agree with JonMikal's statement,
JonMikal said:
if you're fat, you can only blame yourself...it's a choice you make.
Yes there are exceptions, I'm one of them (or used to be). If people are going to eat fast food, candy, ice cream, potatoes chips, and all this other stuff and don't exercise, what do they think is going to happen? In reality if you wanted to loose weight, or at least maintain a healthy weight, then you can do it. And saying that there isn't time to do any type of workout is just bringing me back to the laziness. Honestly what percentage of the people that say they don't have time to workout, actually don't have time?

And about me. I was one of the few that in fact did have a problem. My thyroid numbers were way off the chart then they should be, especially at age 16. So since July 12 I have been taking a thyroid pill everyday and it has, or at least seems, helped. Since July 12 I have exercised everyday that I could. During the summer, I normally did a little over an hour. Now with school I normally get about 45 minutes to an hour in. My normal daily food plan is: Protein Bar for breakfast, Sandwich for lunch, normally sourdough pretzels for a snack, and then diner varies. I keep my calories under 1200 and fat fewer than 25g, though I do not “count” them anymore.

On July 12th I weighed 307 pounds at 16 years old.

Today, September 28, I weight 249 pounds. I plan on being at 200 by Christmas.

Most reactions

Back