Fast K Mount/Pentax glass; where?

Dubious Drewski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my photography is really taking off. I'm incredibly lucky. It looks like I'll be getting some real cash in soon.

So now it's time to consider some real lenses. But the problem is that there don't seem to be alot of popular and fast Kmount lenses out there and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. For the events that I do, I need zooms, so I guess I'll be using 2.8 glass. Ok great. Where can I find some?

A quick google for "Pentax 2.8" found nothing but mentions of primes. Do I have to go the Sigma route?

My tentative ideal lens collection would go something like this:
1. Pentax 16-45 f4
2. 50mm f1.4 prime (The new version that can autofocus)
3. *some sort of moderate telephoto with high IQ like maybe a 70-200 or something*

(By the way, I'm aware of the Pentax 16-50 f2.8, but the IQ reviews were not good, so that lens is off the list)

Any suggestions, guys?

EDIT: Ok, I found the Pentax SMC-DA* 50-135 f2.8. Quite a nice lens, from what I can read. I think it's made it on to my list.

Tamron do a lens in the sorta range you're after too...

Tamron 70-200 SP AF f/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro

Others I found on the same site...

Sigma Lens 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM Macro
Pentax Lens 50-135mm f/2.8 DA* ED IF
Sigma Lens 50-150mm f/2.8 APO EX DC HSM

Tamron, yes. I forgot about them. Though during this time, I found this site. It's a wonderful collection of reviews. Though oddly enough, there's no review for the 16-50mm, Hmm. Conspicuous, no? Is it that bad? Like those poor low-budget movies that aren't even justified by reviews from the professionals?

Anyway, these three Pentax lenses all got great reviews:
16-45 f4
50-135 f2.8
50 f1.4

I think I found my wishlist. What do you guys think? If you could picture yourself as the shallow type who judged a photographer based on his camera bag, would you respect me if I was sporting those babies?

Oh, and maybe I should upgrade to a k20 as well, for good measure. Employee discount for me is killer on that thing. ($750 for the body!)

Tamron, yes. I forgot about them. Though during this time, I found this site. It's a wonderful collection of reviews. Though oddly enough, there's no review for the 16-50mm, Hmm. Conspicuous, no? Is it that bad? Like those poor low-budget movies that aren't even justified by reviews from the professionals?

Anyway, these three Pentax lenses all got great reviews:
16-45 f4
50-135 f2.8
50 f1.4

I think I found my wishlist. What do you guys think? If you could picture yourself as the shallow type who judged a photographer based on his camera bag, would you respect me if I was sporting those babies?

Oh, and maybe I should upgrade to a k20 as well, for good measure. Employee discount for me is killer on that thing. ($750 for the body!)

The 50-135 IS a great peice of glass. However, IMO, the Tamron 16-50 is better than the pentax of yours. It's probably one of the best bang for your buck lenses out there.

DEFINATELY UPGRADE THAT BODY IF YOU CAN GET IT FOR THAT CHEAP!
But only after you pick up those lenses.

I would not respect you as a good Pentaxian if you didn't have any limited lens! Forget about the 50 f1.4.

Go for the 43mm limited!!

A zoom you might want to consider would be the Tamron 28-75 f2.8. It's a very nice one for portraits and everybody seam to really enjoy this one. Right now it is on top of my wish list!

Oh and if you want to go for the looks and impress the shallow type, there is the FA* 80-200 f2.8. That's a BIG one.

Personnally i am more impressed by the old asahi, but it is just because i have an old M prime as well and i know what it takes to get good shots with this kind of lens! It takes skills!

That 43mm lens is a very weird lens - completely metal and apparently a bit rare. It seems a bit sharper than their 50mm 1.4, but that pricetag is a bit prohibitive compared to the 50mm. Still a wonderful looking lens, though.

I've become unsure about the 16-50mm 2.8.
What's going on? Some people claim their copy of the lens is perfectly free of IQ issues. Are these people just blind or is there any truth to this? Can someone link me some 100% crops from a "good" copy of this lens?

EDIT: People have been saying that "the new batches" of this lens are better than the launch batch. Is there a way to check this in the store before I buy? Is there a model number difference or something?

Alright, I've got a new list. After talking to an Ex-Pentax Guru (He moved on to full frame cameras) I've got it all settled. I think.

- Pentax 12-24 f4
- Pentax 31mm f1.8 Limited
- Pentax 50-135 f2.8

After about an hours worth of discussion and comparison, these lenses came out on top as the sharpest lenses, bar none. Especially that 31mm, apparently. It's supposedly the sharpest consumer lens ever made.

And then if I become rich and am able to afford it, some fun lenses will be:

- Pentax 100mm f2.8 Macro
- Pentax 300mm f4

But these are not at all necessary.

Now, watch this thread die with this post. Because, that's just what I do....

If you really do think things are starting to take off I think you really need to consider getting into a real professional system. I know I will of course be offending people but before you get too deep into a system you should consider chnging now then you will be able to find every lens you would want without any trouble.

That 43mm lens is a very weird lens - completely metal and apparently a bit rare. It seems a bit sharper than their 50mm 1.4, but that pricetag is a bit prohibitive compared to the 50mm. Still a wonderful looking lens, though.

I've become unsure about the 16-50mm 2.8.
What's going on? Some people claim their copy of the lens is perfectly free of IQ issues. Are these people just blind or is there any truth to this? Can someone link me some 100% crops from a "good" copy of this lens?

Whenever i dream about my next pentax lens i just take a trip to the pentax photo gallery and check out what has been done with it.

For instance, for the 16-50 f2.8: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/h...ection=2040&subSubSection=1521213&language=EN

Seams like a good one to me.

As far as worrying about getting a bad copy, i would not worry. I have seen a poll on another forum and most people get good ones. And for those who don't, Pentax seams to be doing a good job getting them a new one.

If you really do think things are starting to take off I think you really need to consider getting into a real professional system. I know I will of course be offending people but before you get too deep into a system you should consider chnging now then you will be able to find every lens you would want without any trouble.

You have a D-70s... Is there anything you can do with your camera that we can't? I don't think so.

I think he can stick with Pentax if he wants to, he won't be the first pro to do it. And at least he can be sure that the money he spends on lens now won't be thrown out the window because someone in a marketing department decided to change the mounts on the new cameras... (ever tried metering with an old lens on your D-70? Have fun with that!)

If you're putting together a Pentax system I would go for prime lenses every time if you want top image quality. SMC Takumar optics are some of the best there are.

hehehe lol... I'd take the K10D (or K20D) over that D70 anyday.

JIP, there is a rather well known PROFESSIONAL photographer here ( posts occasionally and too busy to post here often) that shoots PROFESSIONALLY with the K10D (probably K20D now). So if you definition of PROFESSIONAL system is one that can be used PROFESSIONALLY then I think the only thing of base here is you.

Beside JIP, isn't the whole idea is to enjoy..... you forgot that part eh.

sheesh...

usayit. Just out of curiousity what do you or did you do for a living? I was going to message you and ask but you have that turned off. I don't know why i'm so interested but I'm not shy. I'm also nosey I guess.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back