Fast Lens?

ababysean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am hearing this more and more?

What does this mean?

Like on the judge joe video (haha) he was asking where her fast lens was? and kind of making fun of her for only having the 18-55 lens....

What is the fast lens?

I have the 18-55 and the 50-200

What is the next lens I should get?

A fast lens is one that is generally F1.4, F1.8, F2.8 since they work even in low light and the kit lens are F3.5 to F5.6 I think.

A 'fast lens' can open to a wide aperture, which allows you to use a faster shutter speed.

Lenses that have a minimum aperture of f/2.8 and larger (f/1.8, f/1.4, f/1.2) are considered 'fast'.

Lenses that have a maximum aperture of f/3.5 or less (f/4, f.5.6, f/8) are considered slow lenses

^^^Yes. A "Fast" lens is a lens with a large maximum aperture. (That would be a smaller f/#.)

They call it a fast lens because this larger aperture lets more light in, allowing you to use a faster shutter speed.

Generally, primes will always be faster than zooms.

edit
lol, posted at the same time as you, Keith

A fast lens is a lens that has a large max. aperture. Larger aperture allows more light entering the camera so that the photographer can take a photo with a faster shutter speed.

Example.
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L lens is faster than Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens which is faster than Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 mkII which is faster than Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro lens.

EDIT: Man! I need to type faster.

so for a newbie, with a NikonD3000 what is the most affordable fast lens?

I would say the 35mm 1.8 AF-S for the D3000! It worked wonderfully with my D40, and it's stuck in the D300 now- still loving it.

It's fairly cheap too- right at 200$

ETA: The lens the pp linked too isn't AF-S and will not autofocus on the D3000.

the 35mm is a choice, I really want the 50mm but the AF-s version is over 500 dollars.

For me, when I'm in the house, 50mm (having tried the focal length out on my 18-55 kit lens) was just a little too long to give me much manuvering room. For me, the 35 usually works about right so that I'm not backing up into walls!

A fast lens is one that will let you shoot it on the very first day...
A fast lens is one that has had a lot of owners...
A fast lens is one that will let you shoot and then download the photos--immediately...
A fast lens is one people often talk about behind its back,and not in a good way...

If you have the d3000 go for the 35mm f/1.8 AF-S for sure. It's way cheap and it is AF-S so you won't have to manually focus. I just bought it a few weeks ago and I love it! it is a fun lens

+1 to 50 mm f1.8 amazing lens ....you wouldn't believe the bokeh it gets great for portraiture and for all round work....the only bummer is that the AF don't work on D40 so yeah if you are ok with manual focus go for it

Most reactions

New Topics

Back