Fast Moving Photography

Beauy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all -

Im killing myself here. I have been trying to take photos of GREYHOUND RACING. I just cant seem to get the photos clear or sharp. Plenty seems out of focus. Im thinking maybe shutter speed might wrong or something like that.

What would be the best settings for these fast moving animals - they travel around 64 klm (40 mph) per hour when racing. Most of the photos would be taken from side on. I am a total novice at this and have absolutely no idea.

Most photos will be taken at night under lights and flash photography is NOT allowed.

Thanks in advance.

highest shutter speed you can use, lowest aperture number, high ISO

try to pan with the greyhound when you are doing it.

You'll find if you use a high shutter speed, you might have issues of being too dark. I take motorbike racing pictures under lights, but the lights out there at least are no where near good enough to use a high shutter speed. They turn out too dark. I dont know what the track lights are like where you are, but have a play and see what happens.

You might find the legs of the greyhounds get blurred if you are using too slow a shutter speed as well.

If you are using autofocus- don't. I dont know about the Olympus, but at night with my canon, I have no hope of getting any decent percent in shot.

also if you have access to a monopod or tripod make use of that as well.

Those are just things I've noticed when taking photos of sports at night.

This is what I have to work with -

Shutter = 16sec - 1/1000
ISO = 50, 100, 200, 400
Aperture = f2.8 - f3.7
Lens = 38 - 380(full zoom)

What settings would i use ?

1/1000
400 ISO
f2.8
enough zoom to fill frame

You'll probably find that as you zoom out the ISO will move to f3.7. Using a P&S will be difficult too. Can you set it to sports mode?

At 380mm you may need a shutter speed of around 1/500th to get a sharp image (slower if you pan well)

how does zooming out make the ISO change the f-stop?

When you pan, try using the continuous shooting mode on your camera as you pan. You will get a higher percentage of good shots. I do a 3 shot burst and the middle one always seems to turn out the best.

OK ... Thanks all ... I will shoot some dogs and post the results... We will see how I go ...

Thanks again

how does zooming out make the ISO change the f-stop?

The aperture on your lens seems to be as you quoted "Aperture f2.8 - f3.7"

Not 100% sure on this (as I don't have that camera) but with an SLR lens that is quoted as say f2.8-f4, the f2.8 aperture is only available when the lens is at its widest setting and as you zoom out the aperture becomes smaller. My 17-35 f2.8-4 is like this. 17mm = max aperture of f2.8 & 35mm = max aperture of f4.

If your lens is the same you may find this.

P&S cameras however may be different.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back